Too many false motions due to sun/shade/wind

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have several cameras around the outside of my house and am getting many false motion triggers. For example I set up my zone to cover my driveway. But as the day progresses the shade from the trees crosses my driveway. The wind blowing in the trees causes motion in the shade and triggers lots of recordings. Is there any way to work around this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several cameras around the outside of my house and am getting many false motion triggers. For example I set up my zone to cover my driveway. But as the day progresses the shade from the trees crosses my driveway. The wind blowing in the trees causes motion in the shade and triggers lots of recordings. Is there any way to work around this?
see the help file and video tutorial on zone crossing...also if you have any "hotspots" enable, disable them.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I know about zone crossing but I think it would get complicated and miss some motion it should pick up on.
It would be nice if we could activate zones based on time of day. Now that I think I could associate a zone with preset then schedule the preset for the time of day. Hmm. That may work.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I know about zone crossing but I think it would get complicated and miss some motion it should pick up on.
It would be nice if we could activate zones based on time of day. Now that I think I could associate a zone with preset then schedule the preset for the time of day. Hmm. That may work.
You can record continusly or setup cloned cameras

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Record continuous would be too much. I think cloned cameras would put extra cameras in the console to view. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also note that you can set your zone drawings and whether or not to use zone crossing based on profiles, but if your motion detection is setup wrong it wont help you much.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check this out

What's not mentioned is to leave a small gap between your zones, then use an overlapping zone (I always use G for consistency). Then read above. Using multiple zone crossings helps with the trees and shadows that typically only cross between two zones.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check this out

What's not mentioned is to leave a small gap between your zones, then use an overlapping zone (I always use G for consistency). Then read above. Using multiple zone crossings helps with the trees and shadows that typically only cross between two zones.
I spent a couple hours trying to make this work. Never did. Zones adjacent to each other with no gap and no "overall" zone work as expected and are easy to fine tune.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
photo examples

Individual photos of zone A, B, C and D (to take these screen grabs I unselected zone G which is everything. makes it easier to see in the screen caps)
If you can see (i know hard green grass and green lines) there is a single box row missing between each zone.
Then a photo of G - which is the whole scene

Zone crossings: DC>B, CB>A

I assure you, it works...there is a lot of movement with the leaves in that tree and sometimes I still get false alerts...but it's a LOT less. And if you walk from that tree towards the house...it will trigger.

a.JPG b.JPG c.JPG d.JPG g.JPG

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Annnd the result... Motion from DC>B (notice it says G in there. However G is NOT listed in the zone crossings field. Again it's simply there to keep tracking the object)

busted2.JPG busted.JPG

BTRKY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've used BI for years and have just dealt with the false positives during wind. I'm finally digging in and trying to understand how to keep a high positive rate while eliminating the false positives, like bushes and leaves moving. I've set some zones as mentioned above. What I'm not understanding is the G zone with whole scene. Also, does the object detection still work with the zone crossing? In some of my cameras, I'd not have enough zones to set crossing due to various left / right, up / down potential movement. Thanks for the help.

BTRKY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've used BI for years and have just dealt with the false positives during wind. I'm finally digging in and trying to understand how to keep a high positive rate while eliminating the false positives, like bushes and leaves moving. I've set some zones as mentioned above. What I'm not understanding is the G zone with whole scene. Also, does the object detection still work with the zone crossing? In some of my cameras, I'd not have enough zones to set crossing due to various left / right, up / down potential movement. Thanks for the help.
Ok, I understand the "G" zone now. Still curious about object detection. Also, if you have multiple zones, do you have to list them all in the zone detection? Example; A-B, B-C,C-D, D-E, A-C, A-D, A-E, etc?

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I understand the "G" zone now. Still curious about object detection. Also, if you have multiple zones, do you have to list them all in the zone detection? Example; A-B, B-C,C-D, D-E, A-C, A-D, A-E, etc?
Yes object detection works. Yes the power of this is defining what you want to know about. Also don't rule out the 3 zone movement, like AB>C. I do understand this is more complex...but...the reward is less false alerts. Also try not to overthink the zones. Most of them shouldn't require very granular control.