Too much IR

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
I would really like to View my PTZ on my 5208 without IR. Can it be done right from the NVR because I don't have access to the camera via a PC since I don't have a computer and only a iPad and the NVR. I am starting to understanding all of the many many problems with not having a PC! I've been looking for a laptop but the problem is there are too many options and if I buy one I want to know the best deal on the best laptop and you can search forever to find the answer to that question and it changes every day and I don't know enough about computers to make a decision. So if you know the best answer to either question please let me know. I'm sorry for asking all the newbie questions but it is what it is. I do a ton of research before I ask any questions on here. So this is my last chance. I even ask security companies and they don't know the answer.

Last edited:

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much for responding I'll look into it right now!

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
DAMNIT!!! STILL WAY OVER MY HEAD! I haven't dealt with computers since I was a kid. I understand IP addresses somewhat and typing them into the address bar to access LAN equipment but that's it. I just bought a new police scanner and it says the easiest way to set it up is to connect it to a PC so I think I know what my next purchase is going to be!!! I just hate looking so stupid in front of all of you. I guess it is what it is everybody has to start somewhere. You just hope you don't annoy too many people on the way up!

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
Right on thanks guys! I'm trying to figure out what laptop to buy as I type this. It's either get something simple that will just get me by or spend a couple hundred bucks more and get something I could actually use for other things than just getting by. I think I'm going to go with the latter but it's a hard decision. I will never buy another HP product so that's out. I love Apple but it's out of my price range ( also still not everything friendly which is surprising with all the technology these days ) I really just want something with a good display, 1080p. i5 or i7 7th gen 8gb ram upgradable./ 256ssd........sorry...got a little off topic for this category.

Last edited:

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could always buy a cheap used one or one of the cheap low end models that go on sale every so often at Best Buy, Staples, or Office Depot.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But you can access your dahua from the iPad isn't it ? or did you wire the camera directly to your NVR ?

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
Directly to the NVR. Knowing what I know now I would have NOT got a POE 5208 NVR. Now I understand that I am missing out on POE+ Because I would really like audio. I live in a busy area with a lot of crime and loudmouth people so audio would be great! But I'm already running " the classic" Dahua ptz. And with IR on I'm pulling 20w supposedly according to the specs so no room for a microphone. But of course I already ordered it off Amazon. You know the one, silver, waterproof, etc,etc.

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
5208 has a mic input-in the back. I need to figure out if I can just power the mic and place it where I want outside and plug it into the back of the NVR?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
if I can just power the mic and place it where I want outside and plug it into the back of the NVR?
The audio input on the back of the NVR is expecting an analog, low voltage signal. So cable length may be an issue.
I would be like separating your DVD player from your amplifier, and using a long cable to connect the two. Not ideal.

Another idea to consider is providing separate power to the mic. Esp if there's an outlet somewhere the vicinity of the camera.

Something else to consider: When the mic is connected to the camera, the audio is recorded with the video. Playing back the footage will contain both. IIRC, the audio-in on the NVR is primarily for the two-way audio feature, ie: you could talk at the NVR (audio-in), and your voice would would be piped to an external speaker placed somewhere, using audio-out.

I have several cams that have external mics. Having the audio laid down with the video is ideal for live viewing and playback.

I'm trying to figure out what laptop to buy
For me:
- the feel of the keyboard and
- the display image quality are critical.
(once I decide on processor, RAM, HD size, etc)
keyboard and display are hard to evaluate on-line.
So I go to Best Buy to try out some laptop brands.
Some call the "Worst Buy", but I've had good experiences so far.
And returns are easier than on-line.

Fastb

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Because I would really like audio. I live in a busy area with a lot of crime and loudmouth people so audio would be great!
Check your local laws before recording audio. Some places prohibit recording conversations you are not a party to, and others prohibit recording conversations you are a party to unless the other person consents.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Good point.
I live in an area that requires "informed consent". Which can be achieved with a sign that states recording audio may be used on my property. So I put that sign on my driveway, right next to the sign stating an Alarm System is in use. If people don't want to be recorded, they don't have to enter my property. If they enter, the law deems that as "informed consent"
Laws vary widely!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good point.
I live in an area that requires "informed consent". Which can be achieved with a sign that states recording audio may be used on my property. So I put that sign on my driveway, right next to the sign stating an Alarm System is in use. If people don't want to be recorded, they don't have to enter my property. If they enter, the law deems that as "informed consent"
Laws vary widely!
Id double check that. Locally we have something similar but it is called "implied consent". Locally "informed consent" requires a little more than a lack of objection, rather they must be specifically told.

RCW 9.73.030: Intercepting, recording, or divulging private communication—Consent required—Exceptions.

I dug up your local laws for Washington state and it appears that when recording conversations you have to announce to the parties being recorded aurally and that announcement must be recorded.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
SyconciousAu,

Good call. I erred. "Implied consent" is the correct terminology, not "informed consent".
It's been a while since I researched the laws for Seattle, WA. And "informing" was required. Informing could be done with a sign, or if on the phone an announcement that "This call may be recorded for quality assurance". If people proceed past the sign, or stay on the phone line, that can be construed as "consent". IIRC.
I read that WA state code you found, and read a bunch of other stuff, since the laws involved are at the state, county, and city level. I concluded the sign was adequate for people coming up my driveway (the main access)
If people creep through the woods, they won't see the sign. And yes, recording burglars could get me in trouble. Just as if they tresspass, climb a ladder, fall and get hurt - then I'm on the hook.

I do intend to put a camera on the side of my house, with audio. I will turn down the volume to not record the neighbor's voices as they get in or out of their car.

From a practical standpoint, how would someone get my audio recordings? Yes, someone could claim my sign was inadequate, if we reached that point. Yes, the very "act" of recording is what we're discussing here, in terms of legality. Recording, and then using that recorded audio, seems that's where the trouble would appear. I don't mean to sound like a "jail house lawyer" (I'm an engineer, not in the legal industry). I may be bending the law, but I wouldn't turn over the audio to anyone.

When I'm away from home, and someone bad approached my front door, I'd like audio for my own personal and private use. I may be tilting at windmills, but listening to people who intend to maybe do bad things seems more righteous and noble than protecting the miscreants from being recorded without their consent. After all, they entered my property despite the "no trespassing" signs.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, it's appreciated. Tricky subject of audio recording.

Fastb

Nigel79

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes very interesting! I was always under the impression that if you are out in public you don't have the right to any privacy unless you are on your own property behind A privacy fence or whatever. That's how the paparazzi get away with it! I'm sure there is a very very gray area. Especially for audio but I'm willing to roll the dice on my own property for sure.