[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

WildDoktor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this video tutorial then you should check it out.
My bad; I should have mentioned that I've watched that video 5x, and I've also looked over this site for hints.

There was some talk about the demo version of Blue Iris having some AI detection issues due to the watermark in the demo, so keep that in mind.
Interesting; maybe I'll try to mask the area of the watermark. (I haven't bought BI yet because I've not gotten any response about how the v5 licensing / support actually works.)

I unchecked the "Enable AI Detection for this camera" box for the default camera; but now I get NO detection at all, even though it's checked in my SD camera that I added. (Should I have added the SD or the HD camera?)

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I unchecked the "Enable AI Detection for this camera" box for the default camera; but now I get NO detection at all, even though it's checked in my SD camera that I added. (Should I have added the SD or the HD camera?)
Sorry, I can't help with the specifics of SD and HD camera selection since I've never set things up to do what you are attempting. That's why I pointed you to a video that I knew was geared toward SD/HD recording rather than answering your original questions. I record HD 24/7. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge in this area will chime in.

When I bought BI the licensing was a bit unclear to me. I understood that it came with one year of updates, and I thought that even after the year was up that I could still get updates within the version that I owned, but I would have to pay for another year of support to get any major updates. However, it didn't work that way. After the year i tried to install what I thought was a minor update and it turned into a demo so I moved back to an older version to keep things going. I didn't mind paying for another year of updates since it's not expensive, it was just not what I was expecting. Now I just plan to pay every year.

WildDoktor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks; no sweat...I bought the software just now (figuring I'll have to buy it every year), and setup the default camera in AI Tool to point to my hd camera, and now all is working! What a relief. Now I can get back to flying MSFS 2020. :)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks; no sweat...I bought the software just now (figuring I'll have to buy it every year), and setup the default camera in AI Tool to point to my hd camera, and now all is working! What a relief. Now I can get back to flying MSFS 2020. :)
What did you do to get it working? Might be of help to others with the same/similar issues?

Palmpilot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done for this false positive? it happens a lot at night and can't be masked as it will render the entire camera useless because of the huge area.
It is also so strange that the confidence level is so high.

1598447742980.png

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done for this false positive? it happens a lot at night and can't be masked as it will render the entire camera useless because of the huge area.

View attachment 69338
Try masking just the tree or the porch light and see if that makes a difference. It should be off to the side enough that your camera would still trigger if a legitimate person was standing at the door.

WildDoktor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What did you do to get it working? Might be of help to others with the same/similar issues?
...setup the default camera in AI Tool to point to my hd camera...
I had to modify the default camera in AI Tool (and keep the name "default"), because AI Tool won't acknowledge any other camera I add. (And if I delete the default camera, I just get errors that there's no default camera.) But once I modified the default camera with my HD camera trigger, bingo...it's working!

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the integration of DeepStack with Blue Iris and I'm not convinced that it's a good idea. Depending on the developers involved, there can be greater innovation and quicker progress in an open source project. You mentioned that Ken announced his intentions to integrate with other AI solutions last year but GentlePumpkin is the only one I know of that has produced a product. Other developers have been working behind the scenes adding features and enhancements. The VorlonCD fork added a lot of new features and there's more to come. classObject is working on dynamic masking so that a stationary object such as a car doesn't trigger an alert every time the camera sees motion. Something that is greatly needed in AI Tool. I'm grateful for the work that talented programmers are putting into this project.

The downside of Open Source is that if the developers lose interest or no longer have the time to donate to the project then the project can stagnate. This has happened with a few Open Source products that I've used in the past.

I don't know if it would even be worthwhile for Ken to integrate DeepStack and all the features in, and coming to, AI Tool. He could not take the project and put it in his commercial product so he would have to rewrite all the code himself which would be a lot of work, and he probably wouldn't make any more money on Blue Iris unless he increased the price. Also, if DeepStack integration was in Blue Iris then the development of AI Tool might slow and we could lose innovation.

A better way to go could be for Ken to provide support for the AI Tool project by providing things in Blue Iris that might make AI Tool integrate more smoothly, and if he had the time he could be a contributor to the project. AI Tool's success adds value to Blue Iris so it's in Ken's best interest for the project to succeed. He gets the value without having to rewrite all the code himself. I guess one down side could be that since the code is Open Source then some competitor to Blue Iris could also use AI Tool, but at the moment Blue Iris doesn't seem to have a direct competitor. Not when you consider the price range and features.

You can check out some of the things being developed here.

Dynamic masking by classObject · Pull Request #38 · gentlepumpkin/bi-aidetection

Many updates by VorlonCD · Pull Request #32 · gentlepumpkin/bi-aidetection
I'm trying out the latest one by VorlonCD, now with the dynamic mask, and it's absolutely brilliant.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure what DS sees that it thinks is a person. The box is drawn over a very wide area so it must think the person is pretty big, and as wide as they are tall. :)

If masking small areas doesn't work for you then put something on the ground in the middle of the highlighted area just to change the scene a bit. Maybe a kid's tricycle or a lawn ornament. Just something that you have laying around to break up the scene.

There's a DeepStack beta available that is said to have a better detection engine so perhaps it would work better for you, but I don't think it's available for Windows.

DeepStack Beta Release

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There's a DeepStack beta available that is said to have a better detection engine so perhaps it would work better for you, but I don't think it's available for Windows.

DeepStack Beta Release
Its been working for me in windows for the last week or so and it does give different detection. I've found it much more sensitive and will bring up people where the old one didn't.

warbux

n3wb
Reaction score
My BI alerts are still alerting with all motion even know the AI tool is correctly identifying triggers.

Also do you guys record continuously or just when triggered?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm trying out the latest one by VorlonCD, now with the dynamic mask, and it's absolutely brilliant.
Are you compiling it yourself? I'm interested in testing the branch but not sure how to go about it.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My BI alerts are still alerting with all motion even know the AI tool is correctly identifying triggers.

Also do you guys record continuously or just when triggered?
Many are recording continuously and flagging alerts. Personally I only record alerted intervals which presently requires the use of a clone camera for each camera to the best of my knowledge.

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey, I am having some pretty good success with blue iris, deep stack and AI tools,., so far i really like it!!! been using it for about 2 months and have it installed on 2 properties..

however I am currently working on eliminating the alerts from blue iris and ONLY show the alerts from AI Tools.. proving to be quite challenging. if anyone has some tips or has been successful at accomplishing this let me know..

SO far I have tried the following

NO Trigger ALert Image - but set camera to take snapshot ever 2 seconds when motion is detected.. AI sees the image but then the alert is sent to phone with no alert image.. flagged or not

try to dump the "alert" folder instantly and only show alerts from the aiInput folder.. not working to my theory

Right now the best solutions is just click on "flagged " on the alerts screen, however I have some people that dont like that and get confused by the 1500 alert images that pop up...

im still working away on this.. (i should start a post of my own.. lol just wanted to chime in that the software works great..)

Thanks!!

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my case I'm happy to have both the flagged AI and motion alert images in the list. I use the motion images to look for critters that AI might not pick up. We have rabbits, raccoons, coyotes, deer, and even bear roaming in our yard day and night. To see only AI flagged images I just check the Flagged Only box so it's easy to ignore the motion alert images if you want to.

Ohh.... maybe this is what i NEED to do to avoid having 1500 alerts and 12 flagged alerts... will attempt now!! Thanks for sharing!!

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you compiling it yourself? I'm interested in testing the branch but not sure how to go about it.
Yes.

It's actually quite easy- I didn't know how to do it till a few days ago and I couldn't find a good write up so with a bit of experimenting I found this worked..

Others may know of a much better and easier way. I think you can miss out the github bit and do it all in VS2019

Download Github desktop and set up an account and download the repository to your computer.
Download Visual Studio 2019
Open the repository you have on your computer from Github in Visual Studio 2019
Click on the repository file and then 'build'.

In the window you will see where the files are. (in the debug folder).
Copy and paste into the AITool folder after deleting (backup first) all the files except 'camera folder, Json files, log file and zipped files'.

Last edited:

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok. so i got it to work.. however.....

my parents HATE the alerts screen.. he says it too confusing to have alerts shown by camera and then beneath it show by time....

however with the duplicated camera setup i now have only alerts that AI detects.. cool. thats good.. not can I also have them flag the alerts.. that way he can still click on "flagged" so that we can see only alerts which are organized by time... as we like to follow a persons path , where they are going..

so im going to see if i can set a cloned & flagged setup... at least untill the ios app gets an update and we are able to customize the alerts screen with what we want to see.

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not getting any flagged alerts in BI and I periodically am seeing this error in the log
ERROR: Could not trigger URL ''

I am running the BI webserver on port 80 and the docker container on port 81.

i had some issues with BI on port 80,, so I use port 81 for blue iris and 82 for deep stack.. however i run windowed version, i have to ensure to enter 82 every time i start it.. not sure for the docker, however I would make sure its reachable at localhost.. you can always try the local ipaddress

Thius is my url
***&pw=***