Total BI newb. I know what I want, but not what 99% of this means.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I have a couple Amcrest 4mp cameras and BI installed. I got the cameras setup and viewing with no problem, however I have a ton of questions. If someone could help me, Id me very appreciative.

The default password for the Amcrest cam is admin / admin. During setup while adding a camera, if I change it, BI does not recognize the camera and I get an error. I can't find on "camera properties" how to change the password after the camera is set up. Am i missing something? I know I need to know this when setting up remote viewing, however I am not convinced "admin / admin" is the most secure and not changeable. What am I missing?
I would like to designate an external hard drive as the location of the video storage. I am assuming the "path" is where it stores it?? I am asking because the folder designation BI shows in the default settings does not exist when I go and look on the C drive.

I currently only have 1 camera setup while I learn my setup to get more familiar with it. However I notice high CPU usage and understand this can be corrected with some video / recording settings. My ultimate goal is to have at least 6 cameras and will probably get a new PC with higher RAM, faster processor, etc. However, in the meantime, can someone help me setup what I need to do to;

1) minimize CPU usage while maintaining some functionalities such as A) remote viewing B) alerts C) zones D) external storage path
2) Setup app viewing
3) setup remote / web based viewing. My knowledge of networking is limited.
4) setup the recording to loop in the designation once a certain amount of storage is reached.

If someone is willing to spend a few minutes with me on the phone who is an expert and answer some stupid questions, I am willing to pay for their time-- I know I could eventually figure it out reading the threads, but Id rather get it knocked out in the course of an hour or so. I look forward to hearing any input. Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@37tr3n5k Welcome to the forum...you need to enter the password in the video tab>configure.
You dont need this password for remote viewing..you will setup a new user in blue iris.
to minimize cpu use you must record direct to disk. Record tab>file format.
See the blue iris help file that explains everything you are asking.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks for the response. I typed in the password in the configure as you described and I got the same error. For example: If I setup the camera to have a custom UN / PW, I get the error. If I got to properties, the UN giving me the error auto-populates. If I set it up as admin / admin and then change it to the custom in "configure", it reverts back to the error. Any tips?

Thank you for the pointer on the help file- Total brainfart on my part.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the response. I typed in the password in the configure as you described and I got the same error. For example: If I setup the camera to have a custom UN / PW, I get the error. If I got to properties, the UN giving me the error auto-populates. If I set it up as admin / admin and then change it to the custom in "configure", it reverts back to the error. Any tips?

Thank you for the pointer on the help file- Total brainfart on my part.
In the configure tab you must enter that cameras user name and password...you must not be typing it in correctly.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the configure tab you must enter that cameras user name and password...you must not be typing it in correctly.
OK. Perhaps I am not understanding something. Can you share with me which step I am taking that is incorrect? I am approaching it two ways.

Method A:
1) Press + sign to add new camera and the "add new camera" window opens
2) BI finds camera and IP address in network & configuration window
3) The username and password tabs are auto-populated to say "admin" and "admin"
4) I Change the Usernames to my custom UN and password
5) complete setup setting name of camera, etc
6) Click OK
Video screen pops up and I get an error saying username and password are incorrect.
7)I right click the camera, go to properties
8) Camera properties pops open and I go to "video", click "configure"
9) The custom username I entered above is auto-populated. I cant be typing it in incorrectly- I dont have to type it in. Regardless, I type it in correctly again. I still get the error.

The other method which I tried is exactly the same as above, except I tried leaving the admin / admin combo the same at setup in step #4 except I tried to later change it to my custom password combo in step #9. Either way, if I change the username and password via either method, I still get the error. I am not typing it incorrectly unless I completely forgot how to type any words other than "admin".

Thanks again for your help. Sorry for asking stupid questions.

PS. I would like to add that if I leave it as admin / admin, I can see the cameras with no problems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Perhaps I am not understanding something. Can you share with me which step I am taking that is incorrect? I am approaching it two ways.

Method A:
1) Press + sign to add new camera and the "add new camera" window opens
2) BI finds camera and IP address in network & configuration window
3) The username and password tabs are auto-populated to say "admin" and "admin"
4) I Change the Usernames to my custom UN and password
5) complete setup setting name of camera, etc
6) Click OK
Video screen pops up and I get an error saying username and password are incorrect.
7)I right click the camera, go to properties
8) Camera properties pops open and I go to "video", click "configure"
9) The custom username I entered above is auto-populated. I cant be typing it in incorrectly- I dont have to type it in. Regardless, I type it in correctly again. I still get the error.

The other method which I tried is exactly the same as above, except I tried leaving the admin / admin combo the same at setup in step #4 except I tried to later change it to my custom password combo in step #9. Either way, if I change the username and password via either method, I still get the error. I am not typing it incorrectly unless I completely forgot how to type any words other than "admin".

Thanks again for your help. Sorry for asking stupid questions.
Do you have more than one camera connected? are you sure you are trying to connect to the camera for which you changed your password? Also note that you dont have to change the password on the cameras since they are not being exposed to the internet, its all going though blue iris. Also remember that both username and password are case sensitive.

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently only have one camera connected. Is there a UN and PW for BI that has to match that I am forgetting I setup or didn't change it the time of the software installation?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently only have one camera connected. Is there a UN and PW for BI that has to match that I am forgetting I setup or didn't change it the time of the software installation?
no, all you need to do is put the cams password and UN into the video tab/configure..I cant explain why its not working..try deleting the camera in BI and starting again...instead of using find/inspect, select the camera from the drop down list.

eeeeees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello 37tr
I think that you are changing the cam's user and PW in BI and BI is not accepting it because it is not what is stored in the cam which is admin/admin. Try going to the camera directly, using its IP address and open it up. Put in your new/desired user and PW and save it. Then go to BI and try your new cam name and user.
Good Luck
Eric

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello 37tr
I think that you are changing the cam's user and PW in BI and BI is not accepting it because it is not what is stored in the cam which is admin/admin. Try going to the camera directly, using its IP address and open it up. Put in your new/desired user and PW and save it. Then go to BI and try your new cam name and user.
Good Luck
Eric
Thank you!