Total MP vs CPU Horsepower

vialentvia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. Have been using BI4 for a few months now and really like it.

I started this thread in hopes that we can get another thread going for a sticky.

What I'd like to see is what others are running in total megapixels, frame rate, what CPU they are using and how much it's utilization is. I think this would help with some of the hardware requirement threads.

I feel the thread I suggested above would allow us to create a scale of this so someone can say hey, this person has xMP on this CPU and is at 70%, thats good enough for me. Or maybe if he is running at that, but I want more, I should step up to the next processor.

This thread is for me though. Some of your collective answers can probably be used in the suggested sticky.

Due to the vague i7 requirement listed on the site and not being able to get a definitive answer anywhere about how BI utilizes multiple cores and hyperthreading, I emailed Ken. His answer is that BI is highly multi-threaded and will fully utilize as many cores/threads you can throw at it.

That being said, I am using the 3MP per cam loosely below. I am going to run them at 1080 and 15fps sounds good to me unless a family member complains (this is a large multi-dwelling property on one LAN). Reality hit me when I put 3 Hikvision 3MP turrets up and had to back them down to 720p @10fps to keep from sodomizing my 3.2Ghz Core2Duo machine. Runs about 70% idle and 100% when two or more of those record. There's also 2 other 480l cameras on there.

I had been looking at a 4790K as some of you are having great success with the 3770K and 4770K with a pretty large amount of total megapixels. I am looking to run 12 cams for a total of 36MP on a dedicated machine with up to 4 LAN clients and possibly two mobile clients simultaneously. This could possibly expand to 42MP. I don't really want to exceed 80% at full tilt. I am aware that 8GB of memory is more than enough (or has that changed?).

Will I have enough horsepower or should I be looking at a 5820K six core?

Thanks in advance!

vialentvia

n3wb
Reaction score
Edit: I had read the first page of the BI Hardware Requirements thread that had been active, but did not really see any answers I had been looking for until I read the second page after posting this thread.

The type of responses after number 26 are what I'm looking for. Good info. Maybe some of that and what I determine here can all be merged into said sticky if it comes to fruition.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: I had read the first page of the BI Hardware Requirements thread that had been active, but did not really see any answers I had been looking for until I read the second page after posting this thread.

The type of responses after number 26 are what I'm looking for. Good info. Maybe some of that and what I determine here can all be merged into said sticky if it comes to fruition.
If you are going to run 42mp get 16gb...https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6201-Blue-iris-and-CPU-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage
You can easily run 42mp on a 4790...

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have installed a system yesterday on a older I7 CPU, i believe it is a i7-920.
Using 21Mp of camera's mix off 2 dahua 3MP types and 5 x Hikvision bullet 3MP.
12 Fps - Direct to disc recording - full resolution - 4096 Bit rate on all cams as far it as possible to set.

It hangs at 25-35 %, it does spike when a recording is being made to 60/70% depending on how many start recording.
Logging in 2-4 users and it spikes as well to about 85% - 90% if recording.

This system can't use hardware acceleration since the older cpu does not support this so when using HA it will be lower.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have installed a system yesterday on a older I7 CPU, i believe it is a i7-920.
Using 21Mp of camera's mix off 2 dahua 3MP types and 5 x Hikvision bullet 3MP.
12 Fps - Direct to disc recording - full resolution - 4096 Bit rate on all cams as far it as possible to set.

It hangs at 25-35 %, it does spike when a recording is being made to 60/70% depending on how many start recording.
Logging in 2-4 users and it spikes as well to about 85% - 90% if recording.

This system can't use hardware acceleration since the older cpu does not support this so when using HA it will be lower.
Check the power consumption on the system as the first gen were pretty hungry compared to second and later.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes i know its is pretty high, it is around 90Watts when using 60%.
First we had this system at my parents holiday house, we installed it now at a place my dad owns , bill is paid by 25 renters so no worries about this now and solar panels on the roof for covering most usage.
I can't check it at the moment to have exact numbers on the usage since it is 200KM away from my home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes i know its is pretty high, it is around 90Watts when using 60%.
First we had this system at my parents holiday house, we installed it now at a place my dad owns , bill is paid by 25 renters so no worries about this now and solar panels on the roof for covering most usage.
I can't check it at the moment to have exact numbers on the usage since it is 200KM away from my home.
You can pay for a 300 haswell i5-4790 in less than two years at 20c a kwh...

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it is actually a little bit faster in this since a Kwh is about 0.25 ct here , but there are 8 solar panels x 300W so it takes longer then since we produces power as well. ( only thing that runs on the panels is the server /cameras / 3 LED fluorescent tubes, 3 magnetic locks / rfid controller, this is where the bicycles are stored from the renters)
When we produce more then you use (and we do) you only get the few cts a Kwh really costs, no strange taxes and other nonsense they charge us in the Netherlands for power.
Thus it will cost longer to earn back the solar installation then.
How it is arrange at the moment the bill is small, and the solar panels bare the server that does the work.
The law about producing power and getting paid will be changed within a few years, who knows what they will think of then.
Maybe even taxes for having solar panels, at first they try to get everybody use solar and then haha it is going to cost them to much probably.

Last edited by a moderator:

vialentvia

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that fenderman. I will see how it does with 8 and step up to 16. Also, since you feel a 4790 will definitely handle 42MP, I am just curious as to how the load scales as clients are added to the mix. I know you take a hit on processor cycles as each user logs on. I feel with up to 4 LAN users and 2 mobile clients that it's a pretty serious hit and even more so with 3 or 4 cameras recording.

I am just trying to get an idea of how clients change the dynamics on the scale of horsepower needed.

Good thread so far, putting numbers out there guys.

vialentvia

n3wb
Reaction score
So I built the machine.

So far it's raining outside, so all cams recording a total of 12MP recording currently and two SD 640x480 cams as well. Two clients connected and I am sitting easy at 11% on the stock clock with zero Turbo Boost or overclock of any sort.

Build ended up being:

Raidmax 920 Narwhal case
MSI Z97 PC Mate board
4790K processor
LEPA Aquachanger 240 water cooler
Corsair CX750M 750w power supply
G Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM 2133Mhz
Edit to add that I am recording to standard 7200rpm HDDs x4