Traffic from remote playback (iVMS-4200 and 4500) direct or via camera?

poweruser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dear ip-cammers,

I've tested my DS-2CD2032-I and used the iVMS-4200 software under Windows 10 and the iVMS-4500 under Android. The cam saves the recordings on a SAMBA mount on my Synology NAS.

I tested the setup when the CAM was linked in my local network. I was suprised to find that playback behaved quite fast and all in all was experiencing a responsive behavior.

I now have my cam hooked up to my garage linked to my network via a powerline. It's not the fastest one around, I tested it bandwidth to be approx 20Mbit. So i setup my streams to max 6Mbit since I thought that would help if I would like to view a live-feed while the cam is recording simultaneously. This works reasonable, quite a bit slower as compared to local network but bearable.

Now the problem. When I use remote playback using Windows or Android it used to be quite fast, searching and playing new clips was quite fast. But now it's laggy.

Is it correct to draw the conclusion that the remote playback stream is offered by the camera itself and not offered directly? In my case, I'd rather have it stream directly to my NAS since that is hooked up using gigabit. When the stream goes via the IP-cam, it has to use the meager 20Mbit connection which might be insufficient.

Is my conclusion correct? And if so, is there anything I can do to improve the user experience with the iVMS-4200/4500?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it correct to draw the conclusion that the remote playback stream is offered by the camera itself and not offered directly?
I think you are asking the equivalent of "On playback does the camera, via the webcomponents plugin running on the PC, hand off the access to the NAS storage to the PC when pulling stored video?"
There are lots of reasons why such a 3-way arrangement would be troublesome, so although I have not tested it, I'm pretty confident in suggesting that the playback traffic comes direct from the camera, which obtains it from the NAS.
With your 20Mbps measured throughput, which is probably well below the advertised maximum for the PLAs, I'd hazard a guess that there is going to be a lot of re-transmission going on, which with the big packets the video will be coming and going in is likely to add a lot of delays.

GSB1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From my own experience, good bandwidth between camera and PC, NAS and camera is required.

What are the homeplugs rated to, 200? If so a 500 or higher plug should realise better than 20mbps true throughput.

poweruser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think you are asking the equivalent of "On playback does the camera, via the webcomponents plugin running on the PC, hand off the access to the NAS storage to the PC when pulling stored video?"
There are lots of reasons why such a 3-way arrangement would be troublesome, so although I have not tested it, I'm pretty confident in suggesting that the playback traffic comes direct from the camera, which obtains it from the NAS.
With your 20Mbps measured throughput, which is probably well below the advertised maximum for the PLAs, I'd hazard a guess that there is going to be a lot of re-transmission going on, which with the big packets the video will be coming and going in is likely to add a lot of delays.
Yes, your equivalent sums it up pretty nicely. If I don't touch the replay option, everything will be fine but as soon as I load up old stuff.... I request the stuff from the cam, the cam requests the appropriate files from the NAS, the NAS serves them to the IP-CAM after which the CAM hands them to me. So the same video goes over the same line twice!

I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the stone wall to get some CAT6 in there.

From my own experience, good bandwidth between camera and PC, NAS and camera is required.

What are the homeplugs rated to, 200? If so a 500 or higher plug should realise better than 20mbps true throughput.
They are 200Mbps rated but you know how they calculate them, probably sitting next to each other.

Last edited by a moderator: