Triggering Alarm/Buzzer via the Camera Wires only

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to setup my camera to trigger a 12v doorbell buzzer. This buzzer can have its own power source via a 12V battery. I am trying to figure out how to do this directly with the cameras 5 alarm wires since I am using no NVR. Most threads I can find utilize an NVR for the relay and power.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would suggest that you use the camera alarm out wires to trigger a relay with 10 amp, or higher rated, contacts and install a capacitor, .1ufd or so, across the buzzer to reduce the arching caused by buzzers or other coil operated devices.

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the 5 wire version shown here

I ordered this for the doorbell sound.

Power source is a 12V battery so I dont need a 120V transformer.

Question is do I still need a relay? The doorbell works by a simple normally open to closed switch.

This wont be always left on. The power source is a 12V system at my hunting cabin. The camera is pointed towards coyote bait and should trigger the doorbell when motion detected.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The current rating of the camera contacts are at, basically, signal level and aren't meant for switching heavier loads in the 100ms rang or more. With an electronic chime, like you linked to, I'd guess a relay might not be needed. Being a cautious type, I'd use a relay just for the added insurance to isolate the doorbell, electrically, from the camera entirely. That's just me being a cautious person.

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
10/4 So the alarm out wires create a closed loop upon camera trigger? And only those 2 wires are needed?

jzobel

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup....just got it working. Only needed the two wires. Works perfect. Thanks! No more motion sensor out by the bait.