Triggers only work while logged into BlueIris on server

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a RCA HSDB2A at the front door. So far this is my only external camera and only camera i'm using alerts on. I've gone round and round with getting consistent alerts, ultimately realizing when BlueIris is open on the server, triggers and alerts work well. Close BlueIris on the server, triggers and alerts stop.

I assume this is an easy setting with windows going to sleep, how ever the server is set to not sleep, hard drive does not go to sleep, etc. I can log in UI3 at any time and see live streams and past recordings so BlueIris is running as a background service.

I left BlueIris open last night and alerts are generating properly. Shortly after closing it, alerts will stop.

Can someone advise what to check next?

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like you don't have the 'Run as a Windows Service" checked.
It's located on settings in the Startup tab. Just make sure it's checked. That way when you close the UI the server is still running.

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just checked. "Run as a Windows service (no UI, run again for console)" on the startup tab is checked

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Left the server gui open for 24 hours and it alerted the whole time. Turned off the server gui at 5:45pm. The last alert was almost exactly 20 minutes later at 6:13pm. I'm still VNC'd into the server, its not asleep. UI3 from remote PC works well, just no alerts

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, ok, need some additional info.
What are your power settings for the BI PC. They should be never sleep or hibernate.
I don't understand what you mean by "BlueIris is open on the server, triggers and alerts work well. Close BlueIris on the server, triggers and alerts stop. "

If BI is running as a service, you don't log in and out of it. It runs or is active while the PC is on.
What do you mean by "I left BlueIris open last night and alerts are generating properly." Again, if BI is running as a service it should be open/running all the time the PC is active.

Sounds like you have some power settings for your BI server that is causing the PC to sleep or hibernate. You don't just set a service not to sleep, it's all or nothing if the PC goes to sleep.

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
Another thing to check is your profiles. Do you have a profile that is changing at some period of the night that would be set to not trigger. You should probably post your profile settings. Do you have a daytime and night time profile maybe? Just need a lot more info on what all your settings are.

Is this Bi 4 or 5? If 5, is this a upgrade or a new install ?

Last edited:

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm, ok, need some additional info.
What are your power settings for the BI PC. They should be never sleep or hibernate.
I don't understand what you mean by "BlueIris is open on the server, triggers and alerts work well. Close BlueIris on the server, triggers and alerts stop. "

If BI is running as a service, you don't log in and out of it. It runs or is active while the PC is on.
What do you mean by "I left BlueIris open last night and alerts are generating properly." Again, if BI is running as a service it should be open/running all the time the PC is active.

Sounds like you have some power settings for your BI server that is causing the PC to sleep or hibernate. You don't just set a service not to sleep, it's all or nothing if the PC goes to sleep.
I agree with what your saying, but it is operating as I indicated. If the interface is running, alerts operate correctly. If I close the interface (Blue Iris is still operating as a service) alerts stop after ~20 minutes. I've reproduced this two days in a row.

BlueIris is running as a windows service.
The PC never goes to sleep.
I have looked at the settings I know of to dissable all sleep/hypernation/etc.

Screenshots attached.

Attachments

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another thing to check is your profiles. Do you have a profile that is changing at some period of the night that would be set to not trigger. You should probably post your profile settings. Do you have a daytime and night time profile maybe? Just need a lot more info on what all your settings are.

Is this Bi 4 or 5? If 5, is this a upgrade or a new install ?
Various settings attached. Let me know if there are more needed. I have clicked "copy/paste to all" on these tabs many times.
Blue Iris 4. Installed a few months ago.

It sure seems like something outside of BlueIris as it doesn't matter what time of day. If the BlueIris interface is open, alerts work. Close the BlueIris Interface (still running as windows service) and alerts stop.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a RCA HSDB2A at the front door. So far this is my only external camera and only camera i'm using alerts on. I've gone round and round with getting consistent alerts, ultimately realizing when BlueIris is open on the server, triggers and alerts work well. Close BlueIris on the server, triggers and alerts stop.

I assume this is an easy setting with windows going to sleep, how ever the server is set to not sleep, hard drive does not go to sleep, etc. I can log in UI3 at any time and see live streams and past recordings so BlueIris is running as a background service.

I left BlueIris open last night and alerts are generating properly. Shortly after closing it, alerts will stop.

Can someone advise what to check next?
Have you selected limit decoding in the video tab (in blue iris)?
This would explain your problem, when you have the BI console open, and you have only one camera it will decode the image.

HugChopShop

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you selected limit decoding in the video tab (in blue iris)?
This would explain your problem, when you have the BI console open, and you have only one camera it will decode the image.
"limit decoding" is checked. I'll uncheck and retry!