Trouble installing new Hik camera (IP help)

stevenizme

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone. I'm trying to install a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G1-LU (4MM) 4MP ColorVu fixed turret camera on my 6 year old Hikvision DS-7604ni-se/p 4ch NVR (v 2.3.10 I believe). I had another camera in the first POE port (D1), and it died. From what I've read, I can't delete that camera's information from camera setup... I can only change it to match my new camera. I've been playing with the IP addresses on the NVR and camera, reading forums (mainly this one), and trying to use SADP. I think I'm just getting more confused. I just need to know what to change the camera's IP address to and what to change the NVR's IP address to, and please look at any other blanks in the pictures to see if they're correct. After playing with this daily for almost a week, I'm almost ready to buy a cheap Costco plug-and-play system where you just scan barcodes. :banghead: I really want to get this ColorVu camera working because I assist the local PD with footage a few times per year, due to my house being on a major street.

When I click the triangle button to see what the issue is, it always says "Disconnected" and that's it. Sometimes, the serial number will become visible as I play with the IP address, but the camera view never shows up. Hikvision support doesn't believe me that the triangle only says "Disconnected", and they want me to give them the rest of the error message. I haven't been connecting my NVR to my network. I basically treat it like a DVR.
Help!

Camera Setup Page - IP Addresses.jpg
NVR IP Address.jpg
System Config Numbers.jpg
New Camera Info In SADP.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There may be a compatibility issue with that old NVR/firmware and the ColorVu camera.

The simplest method of adding a new camera would be :
Set the D1 channel to Plug&Play mode as opposed to Manual.
Reset the camera to 'Inactive'. Presumably you can access the camera web GUI and know the password you have set on it.
When the camera is connected to the NVR PoE port, it will 'Activate' it and it should connect.
If that does not work - I suspect there is a compatibility issue.

stevenizme

n3wb
Reaction score
There may be a compatibility issue with that old NVR/firmware and the ColorVu camera.

The simplest method of adding a new camera would be :
Set the D1 channel to Plug&Play mode as opposed to Manual.
Reset the camera to 'Inactive'. Presumably you can access the camera web GUI and know the password you have set on it.
When the camera is connected to the NVR PoE port, it will 'Activate' it and it should connect.
If that does not work - I suspect there is a compatibility issue.
Thanks, I'll try that.

What about the IP addresses I posted pictures of. Do you see any issues with the numbers conflicting? The IP addresses and their interactions confuse me.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The IP addresses in your pictures looked ok.

When the NVR is using Plug&Play mode against an inactive camera (ie has been reset to defaults) the camera IP address does not matter.

stevenizme

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision told me today that my NVR isn't compatible with the camera (it's 6 years old?!), and I'd have to buy a new NVR. I have noticed that a lot of the "How to" videos online don't have the same menus as my system. Maybe I bought it when it was at the end of its life 6 years ago. I think I'm going to go ahead and invest in the new NVR to swap over to ColorVu (full color at night).

It's been a frustrating troubleshooting ride because I sent Hikvision all my model numbers and versions a week ago, and they never told me it wasn't compatible until I asked multiple times.