Trouble With Hikvision NVR Remote Playback

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
When I call up the NVR with the LAN address I am not getting the screen and picture quality I am used to. It appears to be in 720p and not in 2K or 4K. It also does not have the controls at the bottom like it used to. For one I cannot go frame by frame and cannot speed up the video. I have attached a screen shot.

Screenshot (8).png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tested with Edge Version 93.0.961.38 (Official build) (64-bit) against an NVR running V4.22.005 build 191208 and it seems OK.
Presumably it worked OK previously, maybe a Windows update is the culprit.

What's your Edge version?
Does a page refresh change anything (F5)?

1630831967709.png

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I am running a later NVR version, something like V.50xxxxxx. However later that evening my screen shows up like the one you posted. I have had this happen before and I wonder what causes it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However later that evening my screen shows up like the one you posted. I have had this happen before and I wonder what causes it?
Well, that's odd.
But I have found many of the NVR 4.x firmware versions to be a bit glitchy and inconsistent in their behaviour.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I checked a number of things and did not find anything that would cause the problem. Next time it happens I will look for other open programs. One thing I did do and I regret is down load the latest NVR program for one of my NVR's. No for some reason with the new format it will not playback any video or live video remotely. I will see if I can revert back to an older version.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I was wondering if for some reason the remote playback reverts to a substream view instead of mainstream. That would explain some things.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was wondering if for some reason the remote playback reverts to a substream view instead of mainstream. That would explain some things.
Are you even recording the substream? You would need to specifically force your NVR to record the substream, by default it doesn't even record it.

Just take a snapshot of the video when on playback, and check the resolution on the snapshot.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you even recording the substream? You would need to specifically force your NVR to record the substream, by default it doesn't even record it.

Just take a snapshot of the video when on playback, and check the resolution on the snapshot.
I rarely have this problem, but it does come up occasionally. It is just weird. So basically I am just tossing things out there looking for ideas and what to look for if it happens again.