Trouble with LaView NVR and DS-2CD2335-I

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
So I purchased a NewEgg deal that they had on LaView camera/NVR. Unfortunatly at some point during the remodel the cameras walked, thus I'm left with a LaView NVR. From all my research they're just dumbed down Hikvision. My NVR is LV-N9808C8E.

With that I purchased a few Hikvision cameras, specifically I have two DS-2CD2335-I. I went through the setup of the NVR. I got the HD installed and formatted. I also got it assigned an IP, and I'm able to login to it via my computer. The issue however is the cameras.

I've downloaded the SADP program via the disk included with the camera. It locates the NVR, but no cameras. I've attempted to add a camera via the NVR by inputting the default IP listed in the manual of 192.168.1.64 and that doesn't work.

Where am I screwing up here folks? I've spent hours tinkering and I've gotten nowhere.

Reaction score
I have two DS-2CD2335-I.
I have one of those cameras as a replacement for one of my old DS-2CD2332-I. My NVR is HikVision DS-7616NI-SE/P16. The new cam DS-2CD2335-I, can be found on SADP when it is directly plugged into the network router. Work ok and I can play with config till cows come home. Trouble is when I hook it up to NVR direct with POE, it can not be found. Tried all sorts of settings on the camera via SADP and tried different protocols, manufacturers listed. Nothing works. Camera is in English but within the serial "20160715AACH" is listed. I wonder if the CH is for Chinese firmware and that may be the pickle. Would yours have the same AACH letters in the serial? Would anyone know where I can get firmware that I can use to make it play nice with my NVR ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Trouble is when I hook it up to NVR direct with POE, it can not be found
The PoE ports are on a separate network segment that by default is not accessible from the LAN, so SADP won't find them when the PC is on the LAN.
As an experiment, connect the PC LAN port to an unused PoE port and see if SADP shows a PoE-connected camera.
No need to change any PC IP address settings.
Does your NVR have the 'Virtual Host' facility? In the web GUI, under network configuration, advanced settings, a checkbox?
If so, enable that and you can access the cameras web GUI directly when the PC is on the LAN.

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
I plugged in a laptop into the NVR and was able to find the cameras. I changed my camera IPs to match the NVR successfully. When I attempt to load the camera via the IP however I am getting an unable to connect error. I have attempted to manually add the cameras to the NVR via its software unsuccessfully. My understanding is the LaView NVR does not have virtual host.

Anyone know why I'm unable to load the camera page? I'm beyond frustrated, I'm sure its something simple but I'm just not seeing it after hours spent on this stuff.

Would I use LaView (since its rebranded H cameras), ONVIF, or Custom?

Screenshot 2016-08-08 at 20.57.38.png

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed my camera IPs to match the NVR successfully.
Maybe the devil is in the detail here.
On the maybe optimistic assumption of much similarity with Hikvision's NVR web GUI -
The PoE ports have pre-assigned IP addresses of what?
Did you change the mode of the PoE port to Manual from Plug and Play?
Did you set the IP address of the camera to be the same as that of the corresponding PoE port that you changed to manual?

Your screenshot does show an unusual IP address for the camera.
Have you customised the PoE interface IP address away from it's default value?

When I attempt to load the camera via the IP however I am getting an unable to connect error.
Yes - the laptop will not be on the same address range as the PoE ports or the cameras, you'd need to configure it with a static IP address in the same range.

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe the devil is in the detail here.
On the maybe optimistic assumption of much similarity with Hikvision's NVR web GUI -
The PoE ports have pre-assigned IP addresses of what?
Did you change the mode of the PoE port to Manual from Plug and Play?
Did you set the IP address of the camera to be the same as that of the corresponding PoE port that you changed to manual?

Your screenshot does show an unusual IP address for the camera.
Have you customised the PoE interface IP address away from it's default value?

Yes - the laptop will not be on the same address range as the PoE ports or the cameras, you'd need to configure it with a static IP address in the same range.
I was able to get one camera live, and working on my NVR last night. However when attempting to get the second working I lost both. I think I'm going to reset the NVR to default and start fresh as I'm sure I've got settings screwed up somewhere.

Thanks for the laptop information. I couldn't understand why I lost access but that makes blatant sense.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't understand why I lost access but that makes blatant sense.
Yes, one of the very good features of SADP is the ability to find, and configure the network on, cameras and NVRs when they are not on the same subnet as the PC it's running on.
By the way - if you don't have it already - the V3.x version is much better than the 2.x version. http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/tools_82_p1.html

Reaction score
Does your NVR have the 'Virtual Host' facility? In the web GUI, under network configuration, advanced settings, a checkbox?
If so, enable that and you can access the cameras web GUI directly when the PC is on the LAN.
The NVR is HikVision DS-7616NI-SE/P, has 8 physical poe ports and all are fully functional. so cams can be swapped around and all work on any port. NVR is not equipped with advanced features or Virtual Host facility. At the moment the only way I can make it work is when NVR is connected to LAN and so is the camera ds-2cd2335-i (not directly to NVR). This means camera has to have it's own power supply wherever I place it, rather than via POE. When both connected to LAN I can see both on SADP and connect with browser to live view. Strange that NVR picks up the camera when it is on the same network and not when it is directly connected. I currently have it hooked to LAN and recording to NVR from LAN.

I found some articles that mention cameras can be Chinese region whilst with English language interface and not work with NVR. It would be great if someone could confirm this and suggested a way to get my camera DS-2CD2335-I to work with my NVR.

DS-2CD2335-I
It may be that you have the same problem with camera being set to China region.
jdougal

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I found some articles that mention cameras can be Chinese region whilst with English language interface and not work with NVR. It would be great if someone could confirm this and suggested a way to get my camera DS-2CD2335-I to work with my NVR.
If that was the case you'd get the 'language mismatch' error with the camera on the LAN as well.

I think the problem with the camera not working on the NVR PoE port is configuration related.
I'm going to make the possibly big assumption here that your 7616NI-SE works in the same way as the 7616NI-Ex NVR.
So a suggestion to try:
In the NVR web GUI, Camera Management, pick the PoE channel you'd like to add the camera to.
Note down the assigned IP address (usually something in the 192.168.254.x range).
Change the Mode to 'Manual' from 'Plug and Play'.
Keep the protocol at Hikvision, enter the known password of the camera, leave the port at 8000 (I'm assuming you have not customised the camera ports), click OK.
With the camera on the LAN, use SADP to find it, and change the IP address to match the one you noted down from the NVR PoE channel configuration.
Set the default gateway to the '.1' address of that range. For example, if the PoE channel IP address was 192.168.254.8 then set 192.168.254.1 as the camera default gateway.
Save those settings, power off the camera.
Plug it into the PoE channel you chose and check Camera Management and Live View in the NVR for status.

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
Reset my NVR to default and got everything working. Still need to read up on how to setup remote viewing. Anyone have any suggestions? I read that simply port forwarding is dangerous and not secure. Thoughts?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've spent hours tinkering and I've gotten nowhere.
Reset my NVR to default and got everything working.
Well done for getting there!
I know the feeling when you've been messing with things so much you can't remember what you changed and end up going back to your fallback position.
You're lucky it didn't revert back to some foreign language as it has for some folk ....

Now - make a backup of the device configuration (maintenance menu) and save it in a safe place you'll remember, suitably labelled.

Reaction score
I think the problem with the camera not working on the NVR PoE port is configuration related.
I tried everything I could think of including manual way. Also seller suggested changing password to same as NVR. Did that and nothing changed.
Called one of the local security companies that deal a lot with HIKVISION equipment and the guy said some models are just not compatible with NVR.
He also said that this is not the first time he came across someone buying from online like ebay and cam refuses to work. He said it's incompatible for some reason.

I resolved to buy POE injector, run it via network and not plug it directly to NVR. At least this way it works and I can record.
At least this buys me some time to find solution for the future.