Troubleshooting Push Notifications

Reaction score
I had push notifications set up on an android phone and they were working properly about a month ago. I got a new phone and am attempting to set up push notifications but I cannot get them to work. I'm not sure if it is something in the configuration or the phone itself. I'm on 5.9.07. I thought on my other phone there was a radio button to enable push notifications in the android app. I don't see anything of the sort on the new phone. I don't know what I'm missing here. Notification permission is enabled on the phone. User I'm logged in as is an administrator.

Any help is appreciated!

1726491919273.png
1726492016651.png
1726492251322.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Within the last few weeks Google changed something and it now requires you to be on the latest BI update that included the fix.

Reactions: Wen
Reaction score
That was the problem. Wow, what crazy timing that my phone was destroyed in an accident just before google broke notifications. I'm not aware of the Evaluation Version, I was curious how I was updating with an expired subscription. What are its limitations?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you purchase BI, it allows you to get updates for up to one year.

So you can update to any version within that time period.

So if you load an update that is newer than your one year, it will be in evaluation mode.

So you would have to pay for another years worth of updates. For most people, they find a stable release and do not update until BI adds something they want.

This is one of the few times where something beyond BI's control requires you to have to update. Or go to the pushover app that many of us have gone to.

Reaction score
When I first bought BI years ago, I didn't realize it was subscription based. I've had to resubscribe literally every year since then for some reason or another. I can roll back my version and get back to the non-evaluation mode?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't subscription based in the true sense of the word. People are running version 4 and some prior V5 update for years without paying any more.

A version that you paid for will work. Unlike say Ring that if you unsubscribe or don't renew it doesn't work anymore.

But yes, you can run any BI version within the year that you bought BI and BI will work without the evaluation mode.

Reaction score
It isn't subscription based in the true sense of the word. People are running version 4 and some prior V5 update for years without paying any more.
Valid point, thanks for the correction. I'm not sure what you'd call it. It's the only software I've purchased where you have to pay to get minor revisions and bug fixes. It's unfortunate. Anyway, thanks!

Oneup

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with getting specific Alert Tones from each camera on the new BI update (5.9.7.4)? I now only get a typical default Alert Push Tone for all cameras the have Push Notification set to a specific tone.

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with getting specific Alert Tones from each camera on the new BI update (5.9.7.4)? I now only get a typical default Alert Push Tone for all cameras the have Push Notification set to a specific tone.
I'm curious as well. They aren't working on my new phone. I have a unique sound for each camera. My dogs have learned which door to run to by the alert tone. :lmao:

Oneup

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For some reason the new BI app update did not automatically show up on my phones. I went to google play store and updated BI phone app for the Sept 2024 update and specific alert tones work now. Yea! Thanks for Ken's support!

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Android app Sounds with names that have multiple words have an underscore (job_done) separating the words, while Blue Iris itself has dashes (job-done). Those sounds don't work and editing the Sounds folder doesn't seem to change the names in the push configuration dropdown.