Trying to decide between Hikvision DS-9016-HQHI and LTS LTD9232T-FA

sgunes

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello:
I am new here and I am looking to upgrade my home CCTV system. I would very much appreciate any input or suggestions.
I have currently 11 analog cameras going to a PC with a Geovision card. I have cable internet (100/5 Mbps), hooked up to a Motorola cable modem and an Apple Airport Timecapsule (802.11ac) and a 24 port Dell gigabit network switch (with port aggregation).
I want to upgrade those analog cameras in the future to HD-TVI cameras with 2MP resolution while keeping the coax wiring.
I want to add in the future additional IP cameras inside and outside, anywhere between 5-12.
At some point I could just use the 12 volt electric wire to the analog cameras and turn them into wireless IP cameras, just using the electric wire and doing nothing with the coax cable.

I looked at what seems like 100's of recorders. In my final selection are the two aforementioned ones.

Both units are triple-hybrid (analog, HD-TVI and IP). Both are 2U and take 8 SATA drives at 6TB each for a total of 48TB, both have dual gigabit ethernet ports (with port-aggregation).
The LTS can do a maximum of 16 IP cameras at a maximum resolution of 2MP. Maximum IP camera bitrate: 6 Mbps.

The Hikvision can do a maximum of 18 IP cameras simultaneously with 16 analog cameras or 32 total without any analog cameras.Maximum IP camera bitrate: 10 Mbps.

They both have limited compatibility with IP cameras (unless it is the same brand).

I was able to download the manual of the Hikvision but not the LTS.

I want to be able to look at the cameras on a dedicated monitor (I have a 32" 1080p with HDMI and VGA connection). I want to access the cameras on any device at home on the wired and wireless network (Windows PC, OSX, iOS and android) and from anywhere in the world (either with a special program or preferably through browser/web-interface).

My concern with the LTS is the limit to 2MP and 6 Mbps as I see that there are 4 and 5MP IP cameras out and I would prefer the improved picture quality and "future-proofness".

As stated, any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
sg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@sgunes Welcome to the forum! Either will be fine...what is the cost difference between them? When do you anticipate converting to ip..
Forget about putting 5-12 ip cameras on wifi, its not going to be reliable..Run cable.
You may consider simply biting the bullet running cable now and going all ip..
16-23 cameras seems excessive for a home, unless its a very large property or estate.

sgunes

n3wb
Reaction score
@sgunesWelcome to the forum! Either will be fine...what is the cost difference between them? When do you anticipate converting to ip..
Forget about putting 5-12 ip cameras on wifi, its not going to be reliable..Run cable.
You may consider simply biting the bullet running cable now and going all ip..
16-23 cameras seems excessive for a home, unless its a very large property or estate.
Thanks for the reply.
The price for the units is comparable. I found the LTS for $1156 and the Hikvision for $1252.
I lean towards the Hikvison as the bandwidth and MP count for the IP cameras is higher.
What you cannot find out going through the specifications are factors like reliability or if some of the advertised functions work as promised.
Support and updated software would also be important factors.
Hikvision advertises as the World's biggest producer of CCTV equipment.

Unless I hear anything disparaging about the Hikvision, I will probably buy that.

I have only a 5000 sf home but it is on 2 acres and we have a lot of wildlife from coyotes, bobcats and raccoons to rabbits, armadillos, wild turkeys and turtles.
I imagine getting a PTZ with 30x zoom lens and watching and recording wildlife.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@sgunes The LTS unit is made by hikvision...and their cameras and NVR's are directly interchangeable with each other.
If you are buying the hikvision from an unauthorized reseller, you will not get any support and firmware updates will be a problem. Otherwise, if the seller is authorized just go with the hikvision.
Even for 5000sf, the camera numbers are very high, unless you plan to mount a bunch outdoors to watch wild life...

sgunes

n3wb
Reaction score
@sgunesThe LTS unit is made by hikvision...and their cameras and NVR's are directly interchangeable with each other.
If you are buying the hikvision from an unauthorized reseller, you will not get any support and firmware updates will be a problem. Otherwise, if the seller is authorized just go with the hikvision.
Even for 5000sf, the camera numbers are very high, unless you plan to mount a bunch outdoors to watch wild life...
Thanks.
I did not know that LTS are made by Hikvision.
I have full access to LTS software, BroView for V series, Web Component (MAC), NVMS7000 for Platinum, Platinum IP search, Platinum Codec for Media Player, Platinum toolset...
Will they all work with the Hikvision?

I found the best price at compsource.com. How would I find out if they are authorized resellers?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I did not know that LTS are made by Hikvision.
I have full access to LTS software, BroView for V series, Web Component (MAC), NVMS7000 for Platinum, Platinum IP search, Platinum Codec for Media Player, Platinum toolset...
Will they all work with the Hikvision?

I found the best price at compsource.com. How would I find out if they are authorized resellers?
Anything that works with lts will work with hikvision and vice versa.
Here is a list of authorized resellers, dont know when it was last updated.
http://oversea-download.hikvision.com/uploadfile/doc/Hikvision USA Authorized Resellers 030515.pdf

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello:
I am new here and I am looking to upgrade my home CCTV system. I would very much appreciate any input or suggestions.
I have currently 11 analog cameras going to a PC with a Geovision card. I have cable internet (100/5 Mbps), hooked up to a Motorola cable modem and an Apple Airport Timecapsule (802.11ac) and a 24 port Dell gigabit network switch (with port aggregation).
I want to upgrade those analog cameras in the future to HD-TVI cameras with 2MP resolution while keeping the coax wiring.
I want to add in the future additional IP cameras inside and outside, anywhere between 5-12.
At some point I could just use the 12 volt electric wire to the analog cameras and turn them into wireless IP cameras, just using the electric wire and doing nothing with the coax cable.

I looked at what seems like 100's of recorders. In my final selection are the two aforementioned ones.

Both units are triple-hybrid (analog, HD-TVI and IP). Both are 2U and take 8 SATA drives at 6TB each for a total of 48TB, both have dual gigabit ethernet ports (with port-aggregation).
The LTS can do a maximum of 16 IP cameras at a maximum resolution of 2MP. Maximum IP camera bitrate: 6 Mbps.

The Hikvision can do a maximum of 18 IP cameras simultaneously with 16 analog cameras or 32 total without any analog cameras.Maximum IP camera bitrate: 10 Mbps.

They both have limited compatibility with IP cameras (unless it is the same brand).

I was able to download the manual of the Hikvision but not the LTS.

I want to be able to look at the cameras on a dedicated monitor (I have a 32" 1080p with HDMI and VGA connection). I want to access the cameras on any device at home on the wired and wireless network (Windows PC, OSX, iOS and android) and from anywhere in the world (either with a special program or preferably through browser/web-interface).

My concern with the LTS is the limit to 2MP and 6 Mbps as I see that there are 4 and 5MP IP cameras out and I would prefer the improved picture quality and "future-proofness".

As stated, any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
sg
Did you end up doing the upgrade?

What did you get?

How do you like your new system?