Trying to determine my path into cameras around my house

Reaction score
Just do not let your cameras go outside your network. Check this out.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just do not let your cameras go outside your network. Check this out.
Ok perfect. If that's all it is, I can get handle it

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That "rule" means that Governmental Agencies can't buy/use them. It has no bearing on use by consumers. Just block it from being able to talk on the internet.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My Camera comes tomorrow is it poe only (need to get poe switch still) or can you power inject as well?

Want to be able to test and start figuring out as I order up a poe switch.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, so I got my first camera and I started to get things set up. Changing the framerate etc.

I assume it will be best to use that service tool that flips the camera from day to night? Or is it not necessary if the camera is flipping to black/white when in the dark?

Are there any recommended settings to start, i frame, vbr/cbr, quality etc?

I set up a test with the camera and things are working, but the recorded footage is grainy. As I am so green to this, I am curious where to starts with some of this.

Reaction score
There is a lot of help in the forums below. I leave my cameras in full color day and night because i have a lot of light around my place.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How does one edit shutter speed in the camera? Also, what do people prefer, vbr or cbr?

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
reading the wiki, trying to determine system needs for blueiris.

I have an i5-2400, is this adequate? It says it has quicksync support

Above, I recommended Skylake (6xxx series) and newer because this was the first generation to include H.265 acceleration hardware. You can also get good performance out of older models as far back as the Sandy Bridge architecture (2xxx series, such as i7-2600) which is the first to support H.264 hardware acceleration with Quick Sync. However newer CPUs are more energy-efficient and typically offer better single-threaded performance which can help if you want to use 4K cameras at high frame rates.

Reaction score
This could help you with which computer to get.

Reaction score
How does one edit shutter speed in the camera? Also, what do people prefer, vbr or cbr?
It depends on the cam. What cam do you have? If it is a Dahua, you use the web GUI and go to the Settings/Conditions/Exposure tab.
1598644637772.png

As I am not worried about space, I use CBR.

I have an i5-2400, is this adequate? It says it has quicksync support
It will depend on how much video through put you have. That is based on the number of cams, their MP size, their FPS and their bit rates.

Try out your PC and see if it works. Can't hurt. You can always replace it. Personally, I doubt it will be good enough for more than a couple of cams.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
camera 1 installed. I am off and running on my journey now.

Only question is, did I F up putting the camera slightly farther back. I asked the wife where she preferred it and she said closer to the house. Now I am curious if I will have issues with IR flair. I guess I will know tonight.

1601568438443.png

Next up, more cameras and blue iris. Just to get rolling I fired up a shinobi docker container, but after hearing about blue iris and its insane capabilities I am sold to not wait any longer.