Trying to get OpenVpn to work Using Asus RT-N66U Router with Netgear MR1100 Hotspot

wilddog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ditch the Asus router's VPN and just buy a $30 raspberry pi and run Open VPN on that. Problem solved. That's what I've been doing for over a year now. Or you can buy a Edgerouter ERX.
Can you point me to some info on how to do the pi thing running openvpn? I have not worked a pi before but now might be a good time to learn. Also does the Edgerouter already have Openvpn ? Thanks.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m no expert, but it sounds like you need a DDNS service for the MR1100 so you can get to it every time from the Internet. Does it have a built in DDNS service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilddog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m no expert, but it sounds like you need a DDNS service for the MR1100 so you can get to it every time from the Internet. Does it have a built in DDNS service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't but the rt-n66u does but it won't work since the mr1100 never sends it an IP. I don't understand why it works the way it does, when I hook the mR100 directly to my computer it gives the computer a public IP, but when I hook it to router it will not give the router the same. Even if I hook my computer to the router I can still get a public IP, but the router has not. I have tried port forwarding , & DMZ both ways, I tried hooking them together with USB ports, and ethernet ports, it just will not function that way. It seems to me the mr1100 should be able to pass the public IP to the router just like it does to my computer.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Who is your internet service provider ?

My research indicates that what you are trying to do, access a home cellular network remotely. See you cameras while out on the internet is next to impossible. Your IP address that your have is shared my other users.

read

You will need to work with your internet provider to get a detailed explanation if DDNS is possible.

Assumptions made on scanty information are dangerous and should be avoided. (from a coast guard maritime rules of the road 1969 ) words to live by

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
have you looked at Hamachi or ngrok, these services are suppose to provide an IP address. i have not used them and know nothing about them

wilddog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
have you looked at Hamachi or ngrok, these services are suppose to provide an IP address. i have not used them and know nothing about them
actually I was reading about them today, I may give something like that a try and see if it works.