Trying to get voice to camera's speaker working

Reaction score
I've just added an indoor camera (Dericam 1080P P2 WiFi) to my Blue Iris setup purely for keeping an eye on our dogs. It's equipped with a mic & speaker for two way audio and I'd like to get that working via Blue Iris. All the standard functionality is working a treat, including hearing audio from the camera's mic. The only thing I'm missing is for the camera speaker to play audio (from the BI app). This works from the Dericam app itself, so I'm confident the camera supports is and there's nothing wrong with the speaker. No luck trying it from the app on iOS or Android (mic permissions have been given).

Is there something special I need to set-up in Blue Iris to support this functionality? It's my only camera that supports this so I've never tried to configure it before. In the main setup I don't have "enable audio capture hardware" ticked as I assume that relates to a mic on my BI server, and I don't have one.

I've tried setting the app user as administrator, but no joy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just added an indoor camera (Dericam 1080P P2 WiFi) to my Blue Iris setup purely for keeping an eye on our dogs. It's equipped with a mic & speaker for two way audio and I'd like to get that working via Blue Iris. All the standard functionality is working a treat, including hearing audio from the camera's mic. The only thing I'm missing is for the camera speaker to play audio (from the BI app). This works from the Dericam app itself, so I'm confident the camera supports is and there's nothing wrong with the speaker. No luck trying it from the app on iOS or Android (mic permissions have been given).

Is there something special I need to set-up in Blue Iris to support this functionality? It's my only camera that supports this so I've never tried to configure it before. In the main setup I don't have "enable audio capture hardware" ticked as I assume that relates to a mic on my BI server, and I don't have one.

I've tried setting the app user as administrator, but no joy.
if it doesnt work when you select the various dericam options from the dropdown, you will need to email support and provide access to the camera.

Reaction score
if it doesnt work when you select the various dericam options from the dropdown, you will need to email support and provide access to the camera.
Thank you. I get nothing at all for the Dericam option which includes my model, but one of the others Dericam options does at least get me a weird noise from the camera speaker when I hit the mic button, so it feels like it is within reach!

I’ll do some more experimentation and email support if I don’t get any further.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I get nothing at all for the Dericam option which includes my model, but one of the others Dericam options does at least get me a weird noise from the camera speaker when I hit the mic button, so it feels like it is within reach!

I’ll do some more experimentation and email support if I don’t get any further.
if you are getting noise from the camera speaker, then perform this test. Go to camera properties >alerts. Send an audio alert to the camera as a test. See if it sounds any better.

Reaction score
if you are getting noise from the camera speaker, then perform this test. Go to camera properties >alerts. Send an audio alert to the camera as a test. See if it sounds any better.
Thanks. I was just about to send this reply saying unfortunately there was no sound at all when I tried that. Just before I hit send though, I almost jumped out of my skin because the camera unleashed a pretty loud siren sound! It was at least a minute or two after I'd given up testing the audio alert and mic button! Very strange.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was just about to send this reply saying unfortunately there was no sound at all when I tried that. Just before I hit send though, I almost jumped out of my skin because the camera unleashed a pretty loud siren sound! It was at least a minute or two after I'd given up testing the audio alert and mic button! Very strange.....
so it does work..but a poor connection to the camera can cause this...try it wired.

Reaction score
Sorry for delayed response. For some reason I couldn’t even get the alarm to sound when wired.

Not to worry. I think I can live without that functionality.