Trying to spec a new camera - 3 questions to help narrow it down

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Attached are two images, one is the side of my house with my driveway, the other is a screen shot via blue iris so you can see what is visible from the camera.

Doing home renovation and changing the siding and roof, so wondering if I should keep the camera where it is or move it. The siding company will work around the current wires on the house (cameras, speakers, etc) but if I want to move a camera, now is the time to snip the wire and relocate/re-run it elsewhere.

The retaining walls are being removed and the driveway is going to be increased in width, then a gentle slope to the backyard. The roof is also flush with the siding, but when we redo the roof too in this project they are building the roof about 12'' over the siding of the house, so there will be an area to tuck one away up there. I'd prefer to keep it somewhere I have access to for cleaning, rebooting, etc when needed so moving it up higher is less desirable unless its function is better though I think the higher it goes the less detail I see on the ground. Its location right now I can reach via maxing out my ladder. Also the window near the camera is being moved slightly over but even closer to the camera, maybe I could even reach from the window but that is TBD.

So a few questions:
1) keep where its at? or maybe move to the area I circled in blue? My fear is if I move it further up the wall I'd lose detail as to whats happening on the ground? But the blue circle area is not much further up.
2) I was using a bullet but it was not installed right, I got mosquitoes in there a few times causing issues, had to send it back for repair, the camera stayed online but usually could not easily detect it or log in via the UI, just became buggy, etc. I've had it for 5 years, so with new siding, I just want to replace it with something new. Should I continue to use a bullet or look for a turret? I have a turrent Dahua in my backyard and love the quality.
3) The siding I picked out is Aged Pewter Siding | James Hardie - I know the camera will not match perfectly, but 90% of cameras seem to come in white and that would stick out a lot. Wondering if there is a dark grey, a metallic or even a black camera? I see a bunch online but most point towards UK websites so wondering if they are not big in the states? This is only an issue if I keep it on the siding, if I move it to the blue area under the roof I can just use a white turret I think?

I am using Blue Iris for recording so pretty much open to ONVIF PoE cameras. Bonus if they have built in 2 way audio, at a minimum I'd prefer at least a mic for one way audio recording of people on my property, if there is no speaker for 2 way that is fine.

Big laundry list here - did some research last night and did not come up with a ton of results.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doing home renovation and changing the siding and roof, so wondering if I should keep the camera where it is or move it. The siding company will work around the current wires on the house (cameras, speakers, etc) but if I want to move a camera, now is the time to snip the wire and relocate/re-run it elsewhere.
Hi eggzlot

Worry less about the camera models right now, and more about placement options.

I would cable the HECK out of the house now while it is easy. Get a decent IP camera and start testing possible locations. Burglars will wear hoodies, caps, .. even gloves and sometimes face covers - plan to place cameras at eye level by your doors! Plan for burglars to turn away from cameras - thus why I really like 2 cameras covering critical spots - like one on each side of the garage door.

I would cable N+1+ ..

Follow the guide in the cliff notes.

Serious, over cabling is a great plan - even if you only end up using 1/2 of the cables you are ahead of the game during remodeling when cabling is easy.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
all very helpful - especially that wiki - never saw it there before. Thanks!