Trying to use an older iPad 4 with cameras

mcf57

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to use an old iPad 4 as basically a security camera monitor. I work in my basement & can't really hear when the door bell rings. Therefore, wanted to install an outdoor camera for my main floor front door/porch area & then simply be able to monitor its activity from the iPad 4 in the basement. This way I can always see it and when someone might arrive.

The latest OS I can get on this iPad 4 is 10.3.3 & it seems like most of the security camera apps out there require a much higher OS.

Are there any consumer camera apps that will work with this older iOS? If so, what?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the exact make & model of the camera, if already purchased?
Usually if the cam can provide an RTSP stream then VLC can display it.
VLC for iOS here works with 9.0 or later and it states even older versions such 6.1, 7.0 and 8.0 are available.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not solve the actual problem and get a wireless chime in the basement?
A camera is great as well for general security but having to look at the monitor all the time is going to be a pain...

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to use an old iPad 4 as basically a security camera monitor. I work in my basement & can't really hear when the door bell rings. Therefore, wanted to install an outdoor camera for my main floor front door/porch area & then simply be able to monitor its activity from the iPad 4 in the basement. This way I can always see it and when someone might arrive.

The latest OS I can get on this iPad 4 is 10.3.3 & it seems like most of the security camera apps out there require a much higher OS.

Are there any consumer camera apps that will work with this older iOS? If so, what?
Use UI3 web interface of BlueIris. I still have an old Ipad2 that displays a group of camera. I use the JPEG HD profile in ui3 and it works fine as a camera monitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use UI3 web interface of BlueIris. I still have an old Ipad2 that displays a group of camera. I use the JPEG HD profile in ui3 and it works fine as a camera monitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I get the sense he is looking for a cheap wifi cam solution with its own app and not a full-blown system with a PC/BI.