Turn off all LED on 4MP Cube

Sg86

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased some cubes and there are 2 bright blue LEDs and a flashing amber one for networking on the front.

Is it possible to turn these off? I've looked through all settings and can't find an option for it.

Thanks!

Sg86

n3wb
Reaction score
Neither could I or others, so the black PVC tape was deployed.
ergh, not a solution!

I see some people around here are modifying firmware etc, could that be a potential route? I'm happy poking around so maybe i'll take a look if someone can point me in the right direction

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doubt it. You could open up the camera and cut the leads to the LEDs to turn them off.

Sg86

n3wb
Reaction score
So, after someone mentioned to unplug the LEDs i dismantled my camera a little to take a look, and the LEDs are obviously on the board as i thought.

Could i literally pull them off with pliers without causing some in the firmware because no current is able to pass through them?

Attachments

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
no, you could create a short on the board with open placements/population points.

You could apply the black electrical tape to the board then reassemble or use a black paint pen and put a couple drops on the LED's to dull them almost all the way

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there clear plastic that goes from the front cover back to the LED on the board which acts as a light transport?

If so, break those off, put black tape on the board and reassemble - that should take care of everything.

Sg86

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there clear plastic that goes from the front cover back to the LED on the board which acts as a light transport?

If so, break those off, put black tape on the board and reassemble - that should take care of everything.
Yea i did that before reading your post and it seems to be doing the job, light still getting out from the sides of the tape so will need to wait until tonight to see for sure but will be far better.

It's a shame they don't have the ability to control these in the firmware, lots of hardware manufacturers do these days for energy saving or green purposes

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I prefer electrical tape in case I need to use the lights for troubleshooting at some point lol but the alarm light is always red on mine which from what I read should only be on when motion is detected, whatevs.

Sg86

n3wb
Reaction score
I prefer electrical tape in case I need to use the lights for troubleshooting at some point lol but the alarm light is always red on mine which from what I read should only be on when motion is detected, whatevs.
Yea i guess it does give the ability to remove, but that would also be possible with a UI checkbox and a lot less hassle! :D

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea i guess it does give the ability to remove, but that would also be possible with a UI checkbox and a lot less hassle! :D
there may be a smart programmer type round' here or on the internet who might know how to find out if there is an undocumented way to turn it off lol.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
lots of hardware manufacturers do these days for energy saving or green purposes
Typically when led's are actually installed during the SMT/Pick and Place process they can't be shut off even via firmware. They are in line on the circuit board thus will receive voltage/show activity. This is a fail safe/toubleshooting tool confirmation of function. Normally it's benefits far outweigh the negatives. The majority of all IP cams have sometype of activity light inside on the board - typically green which confirms power/activity. The "Savings/Green" benefit of turning this off would prob. be barely noticable over the devices lifetime.