Turn off IR on DS-2CD2332-I when flood light is on

bubba123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a flood light (LED) that will stay on for 6 hours, otherwise it's motion detection activated. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the LED turn off the IR sensor on my DS-2CD2332-I (4mm; i.e. give me color video instead of B&W). I only want this to happen when the LED light is on (i.e. enough ambient light to not require IR). I know I can turn off the IR sensor for the whole camera, but I don't want to do that for when the flood light is off. Any suggestions on thresholds for Day/Night settings? Currently it's set to Auto-Switch, Day/Night Auto, Sensitivity 7, Filtering Time 75, Smart IR On. I'm on Firmware 5.1.6.

Thanks,
Brian

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It all depends on how much light is getting to the camera...i have not found the sensitivity settings to matter...you will need to aim the lights so more light gets to the cams or use bulbs with higher output.

kenjidm

n3wb
Reaction score
Not to thread cap but so I don't clog the forum with different threads...But is there a way to turn off the clicking noise when the IR activates?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not to thread cap but so I don't clog the forum with different threads...But is there a way to turn off the clicking noise when the IR activates?
No, this would be impossible. That clicking noise is not a notification sound that plays. It's the physical noise of the IR Cut filter moving from the lens.

Light in the IR frequency range is in the air even during a sunny afternoon. Human eyes cannot see light in these frequencies, but cameras can. The light in these frequencies is red. In order to prevent everything from looking red in your daytime images, a special filter is put on the lens that blocks these red IR frequencies from being seen. That allows you to see color images in the daytime without having everything look red. However, at night when the IR light turns on, this filter has to be removed in order to allow the camera to see IR light. If the filter stayed over the lens at night, the IR lights would do no good because the camera could not see the IR light being output from the IR bulbs. This is also why the camera turns to black and white mode when the IR lights come on to prevent everything from looking red at night. The clicking sound you hear is that filter sliding off of the lens.

It may be possible to take the camera apart and physically remove that filter, but then everything would look red all of the time (or either you would have to run in black and white mode all of the time)...Thus, in order for the camera to function properly, that filter has to be slid on and off of the lens based on conditions and you'll hear the clicking noise when this happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a flood light (LED) that will stay on for 6 hours, otherwise it's motion detection activated. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the LED turn off the IR sensor on my DS-2CD2332-I (4mm; i.e. give me color video instead of B&W). I only want this to happen when the LED light is on (i.e. enough ambient light to not require IR). I know I can turn off the IR sensor for the whole camera, but I don't want to do that for when the flood light is off. Any suggestions on thresholds for Day/Night settings? Currently it's set to Auto-Switch, Day/Night Auto, Sensitivity 7, Filtering Time 75, Smart IR On. I'm on Firmware 5.1.6.

Thanks,
Brian
Fenderman is correct. All you can do is play around with the sensitivity and filtering time settings, but it may not make much difference if there just isn't enough ambient light reaching the auto-IR sensor. Would have to redirect the light and/or get a stronger bulb so that the light sensor gets enough light to make it think that it's daytime.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
as wxman said, it cannot be done, however, you can use the schedule to force the camera in day/night mode so its not clicking back and forth...

bubba123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll re-target one of my LED floods more toward the camera and see if that helps. Thanks!