Turret or Dome?

FlexiPack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking at the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS or IPC-HDBW4231E-AS. As far as my noob eye tells me, the main difference between the two is that the Dome (as seems to be the case with most Domes) offers vandal resistance (the Dome also seems to have Audio in/out and Alarm in/out). This seems to be the main difference between Turrets and Domes. With this in mind, what are the advantages of Turrets over Domes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking at the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS or IPC-HDBW4231E-AS. As far as my noob eye tells me, the main difference between the two is that the Dome (as seems to be the case with most Domes) offers vandal resistance (the Dome also seems to have Audio in/out and Alarm in/out). This seems to be the main difference between Turrets and Domes. With this in mind, what are the advantages of Turrets over Domes?
There are a million threads discussing the differences... Domes are no more Vandal resistant than turrets.... The the turret has a built-in mic but no audio out or alarms.... The turret will not have Ir reflection issues that domes do

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just got 2 Domes to add to my test system and IMHO I would stick with turrets
1. Many domes come with simple star screws that are easily accessible if you can get near the dome, they are NOT security screws. Most turret does not have any visible screws.
2. If your domes angle of coverage includes ANY wall/beam/ceiling in close proximity then you will probably get the IR reflection, I set one to cover from the corner down the wall to view movement passing and at night the IR bounce back from the wall is seen in the recording :( I replaced that with a turret and no issues.

For me the only advantage of the domes was that they had on-board micro-SD, so I can test them in stand alone solutions

FlexiPack

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll definitely go with a Turret. Seems the better option overall.

Reaction score
Easiest Way to remember Dahua Domes...
IPC- IP Camera
HAC- HDCVI
HD mean High definition
B means Vandal resistance
W mean IR
EM - Turret
AS- Support 1/1 Ch Audio in/out

4000 fix domes , 5000 motorized varifocal, 8000 Ultra series motorized zoom

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet, as I said "for me" and mine is a Hikvision it does not, I may now turn to the dark side and try some Dahua's
The new hikvision turrets have sd card slots

Reaction score
Dahua Has SD cards in mostly models available in 4000 , 5000 and 8000 Series. some special models in lite series also have SD cards but officially they will be launch end of this quarter.