Turret vs mini-dome lens flare

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 5231R-Z turret that I'm using for testing. I'm currently working on positioning a camera to cover the front door area. I would like to use a 4231F-AS 2.8mm mini-wedge dome for this location. I will not be using IR.

Option #1 - To the right of the door, above the doorbell. This location has a porch light on the same wall and front or side lights the subject depending on which way they're facing. It would get a good look at anyone reaching for the doorbell. I can just barely aim the turret to eliminate any flare caused by the porch light while getting the desired FOV. Would the dome behave similarly at this position or would it even be possible to avoid flare due to the curved nature of the dome? Or does the foam ring around the lens sufficiently shield it?

Option #2 - To the left of the door. This location puts the porch light in frame. The 5231 handled this surprisingly well and subject clarity was still very good despite being back lit. The entry area is lightly colored so there's a good amount of light bouncing off the wall to the left of the door. So how would a mini dome handle a strong light in frame? Better, worse, or about the same as the turret?

In short, would you rather have a light source directly in the frame or very close to the side with a mini dome?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 5231R-Z turret that I'm using for testing. I'm currently working on positioning a camera to cover the front door area. I would like to use a 4231F-AS 2.8mm mini-wedge dome for this location. I will not be using IR....
Hi Mr_D,

The mini-dome wedge works well for me under the same conditions, it is shaded for most of the day - sometimes i do get issues from the Sun on all of my cameras facing the sun, normally not an issue as each camera FOV has some overlap and not all cameras due to different angles get sun "flare" during the same time of the day.

Also look at the dual camera unit as an option by the front door.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thankfully my door faces north and there are walls on the east and west sides. There's open sky above so light levels are good during the day, but I don't think any part of it sees the sun. Its only about 10' from the door to an archway that anyone must pass through to reach the door. I can cover the entire arch and the edge of the door with a single 2.8 mm lens. Although with a dual 3.6 mm, I could get overlapping views with more detail at longer distance. 3.6 mm might be a little tight for capturing people right at the door though. I need to get the 2x4 out again so I can walk around with the camera in position.