Turrets Mounted to Soffit

adawg88

n3wb
Reaction score
I am building a new home and will be installing my own cameras after the low voltage contractors run the lines.

I am using James Hardie soffits. I had planned to have the builder add some 2x6 blocking above the soffit in attic and then attach my Dahua turrets directly to the soffit, bypassing the junction block. Would make for a solid mount, but curious if this would work and why the junction block is needed? My wife thinks it is ugly and doesn't want a ton of cameras to start with -- so trying to make her happy.

At this house I have the turret attached to blocking through aluminum soffit and haven't had a problem.

Thx!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Cement board soffits. Be careful drilling due to silica.

Also, cameras monted to soffits are too high unless they're purelyt over view. Cameras should be at 6-8ft high.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cement board soffits.
In Australia that's the standard in virtually every house.

I used these for mounting my cameras to fibre cement (and then just use the screws that come with the anchors to mount your camera)

Save yourself the heartache and buy the setting tool as well.

You can also use wall mates.

I've used them on one camera. I prefer the hollow wall anchors.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am building a new home and will be installing my own cameras after the low voltage contractors run the lines.

I am using James Hardie soffits. I had planned to have the builder add some 2x6 blocking above the soffit in attic and then attach my Dahua turrets directly to the soffit, bypassing the junction block. Would make for a solid mount, but curious if this would work and why the junction block is needed? My wife thinks it is ugly and doesn't want a ton of cameras to start with -- so trying to make her happy.

At this house I have the turret attached to blocking through aluminum soffit and haven't had a problem.

Thx!
The only real issue I see is the much larger hole you need to drill for the wiring.
If you use a junction box you just need a hole large enough for the cat6 cable. Then terminate the cable once installed. All wiring will fit in junction box.

No junction box and you have to stuff all the wiring up into the soffit. Much larger hole needed to get camera connector up there.

The PFA 30E is not ugly and fits the turret perfectly. A little bit of a PIA to install but manageable.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only real issue I see is the much larger hole you need to drill for the wiring.
If you use a junction box you just need a hole large enough for the cat6 cable. Then terminate the cable once installed. All wiring will fit in junction box.

No junction box and you have to stuff all the wiring up into the soffit. Much larger hole needed to get camera connector up there.

The PFA 30E is not ugly and fits the turret perfectly. A little bit of a PIA to install but manageable.

I really like junction boxes .. for Dahua I prefer the pfa 121 and pfa 122 as the base is the same . And lids are for either 4 screw or 3 screw bases

For new construction I would do tests once the framing is up to see if I can get the view I would expect.

Can I only install cameras on soffits to achieve what I want ? No.

It gets more nuanced ..