Tutorial or video on how to add 3rd party IP camera (Swann) to LaView NVR?

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have purchased some non-LaView brand cameras and I'm trying to set them up. Are there any tutorials available?

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have purchased some non-LaView brand cameras and I'm trying to set them up. Are there any tutorials available?

I have a Laview NVR with some LaView cameras and a Dahua camera. It's been a while since I set it up, but from what I recall I got the non-laview (dahua) camera working on the network connected to a POE router. I then set it to a fixed IP address and plugged the ip information and User/PW info into the NVR. I believe it just worked from there. Sorry, probably not a lot help, but I'm going off memory from a year ago. Also, I did not use the POE ports on the NVR. I have the NVR connected to the network.

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Laview NVR with some LaView cameras and a Dahua camera. It's been a while since I set it up, but from what I recall I got the non-laview (dahua) camera working on the network connected to a POE router. I then set it to a fixed IP address and plugged the ip information and User/PW info into the NVR. I believe it just worked from there. Sorry, probably not a lot help, but I'm going off memory from a year ago. Also, I did not use the POE ports on the NVR. I have the NVR connected to the network.
Hey, better than no replies which is what I had before lol

So my setup is very straightforward, no router (I don't see any reason that would be necessary). The LaView NVR identifies the Swann cam and imports it's IP address correctly. I input the password and user name and it thinks everything is good.

But then I can't view the camera output within the NVR. I tried changing the IP address and that didn't help. Swann's software is GARBAGE, it won't see the camera on my network. I used LaView's IP finder tool and it found the swann camera (ironic) but I can't change anything from LaViews finder tool.

I'm wondering if I have to change the IP address of the Swann camera in order to get the LaView to actually utilize it. Hopefully somebody can help? Here is a screenshot of how it looks when it finds the Swann cam (highlighted, D3). Note the IP address is a 172# and the rest of my network is a 192. I assume I have to change the Swann camera to a 192 IP to get the NVR to utilize it?

Attachments

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert, but I think the camera's ip needs to be 192.168.254.** if there's any way you can change it.

Also, this might be worth reading if you haven't already. You may need to connect to the camera directly from a computer to change the config.

Swann Support

Last edited:

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. It appears to be a Swann issue, just like you I assumed I had to change the camera IP but their crap software won't even find the camera. LaViews IP config tool DID find it (its plugged direct into my network) so now I'm off to swann tech support, which I can already tell is terrible :(

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. It appears to be a Swann issue, just like you I assumed I had to change the camera IP but their crap software won't even find the camera. LaViews IP config tool DID find it (its plugged direct into my network) so now I'm off to swann tech support, which I can already tell is terrible :(
Hi @Justins311

Do check who the OEM is of that Swann camera.. if the same of the LaView OEM NVR then it will be easier to get them to work together.

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have now spent 3 hours with Swann tech support. To sum it up, Level 1 tech support doesn't even know what "IP" stands for. They reiterated numerous times that they "cannot support me if I connect the camera to a router". When I show them, clear as day on their website that in order to change the IP they tell you to connect to a router - their agent said "Every company has different levels of support, why don't you try calling back and get a different agent and maybe they will know how to fix this issue". Then they hang up on me.

Call Swann and their recording says they are much too busy with COVID, so please try Chat.

What a joke, this company is a sham.

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to clear it up, I bought a 2 pack of Swann cameras. One came from the factory with IP "192.xxx" and connected to my NVR first try. The other had IP "172.xxx" and Swann cannot support me on how to change it, their software doesn't work, and frankly they couldn't tell the difference between a security camera and a volcano. I can't beleive I wasted all this money :(

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These are POE cameras, right? Is your router POE? Is there any way to connect it directly to the computer? You would need a POE injector. Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions.

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
POE cameras, +_12VDC adapter being used. I can see the camera on my network - the Swann software will not pick them up and the other software I have (LaView IP finder tool) will not let me change the IP address.

Therefore I am certain they are wired correctly and I'm pretty certain I know what I'm doing, but Swann's software is junk and I suspect they sent me a used camera.

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If anybody knows another method to change the IP address I'm all ears! The "level 1 tech support" person at Swann told me you are supposed to change them thru the NVR. However their own website says you are supposed to change them using their Network Config Tool. So I'm 100% stuck.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just to clear it up, I bought a 2 pack of Swann cameras. One came from the factory with IP "192.xxx" and connected to my NVR first try. The other had IP "172.xxx" and Swann cannot support me on how to change it, their software doesn't work, and frankly they couldn't tell the difference between a security camera and a volcano. I can't beleive I wasted all this money :(
Hi @Justins311

What camera models are related with the IP addresses, and what the NVR model?

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Both cameras are Swann NHD-851

Camera #1 showed up with IP address 192.168.x.x. It easily connected to the LaView N9508

Camera #2 (also an NHD-851) showed up with IP address 172.16.1.5. The N9508 can see the camera and the IP but will not show video. I have now tried using (3) IP config tools with the following results:
1) SADP tool - sees the 172.16.1.5 NHD-851 but will gives error "device rejected" when I try to update it.
2) Swann "Device Config Tool" - will not find either the working camera or the non working camera.
3) Batch Config Tool (from this pages WIKI) - sees the 172.16.1.5 NHD-851 but gives error "failed to edit network parameters - access denied"

I'm starting to suspect I was sold a second hand camera and the previous owner changed the IP and password and then Swann resold it to me. I don't know how to double check the password of the camera other than these IP config tools.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Suspect this could be a Hikvision OEM Camera

Swann 5MP Super HD Dome Security Camera - NHD-851
SWNHD-851CAM

Camera: NHD-851
Compatible Recorders: NVR-8000
Resolution: 5MP

The LaView NVR I suspect is also a Hikvision OEM - so good news on that front so far. The Hikvision OEM tools should work on the cameras, and the Cameras should work in their native APIs with the NVR if my guess is correct about both being HIkvision OEMs. ( i.e. you should not need to use ONVIF settings )

Once you sync the IPs, Ports, user / password and stream info you should be set.

1592862430040.png

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The problem is, I beleive they sent me a camera with a changed password. I can't confirm this but so far 3 tools will not update the camera and provide an error after I input the password to attempt to change the IP.

Anybody know a way to hard reset the camera/password, without Swann's support?

Justins311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Figured it out. I was correct, they sent me a used camera.

For anybody else running into this, on this model camera you remove the dome glass and there is an UNMARKED button on the circuit board. This is the reset. Disconnect power, reconnect and hold the button for 30 seconds. That is a factory reset to IP and password.

Oh - and stay as far away from Swann as you can.