TVI to IP adapter solutions?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I understand TVI cameras are a way to get (relatively) hi-rez digital images over existing coax cables, for upgrading cameras without pulling new wire.

But it seems that the logical thing when upgrading from TVI systems is to go to an IP-based system.

This is what I've done at my sister's new house, where they had existing TVI cams and coax cable.
Replaced several TVI/coax cams with IP/ethernet cams and a Blue Iris server.

But they still have several functional TVI cams and coax in place we'd like to use as-is until we can upgrade them. The previous TVI DVR is no longer functional, so don't want to replace it just for this temporary use.

I see various TVI-to-HDMI adpaters available, but nothing that seems to allow connecting TVI cams to an IP-based DVR. Short of using a TVI DVR and pulling it's video into BI, that is, but as i mentioned, the old TVI DVR is dead and will not be replaced.

I know, the final answer is to go all IP, but I wonder why there are no single-cam TVI-to-IP adapters?

I'd even be open to a card we could put in the BI server to take in 2-4 TVI cam inputs on the PC and suck them into BI that way, but I find no such beast. Maybe i'm not looking for the right thing?

Ideas? Thanx, Paul.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand TVI cameras are a way to get (relatively) hi-rez digital images over existing coax cables, for upgrading cameras without pulling new wire.

But it seems that the logical thing when upgrading from TVI systems is to go to an IP-based system.

This is what I've done at my sister's new house, where they had existing TVI cams and coax cable.
Replaced several TVI/coax cams with IP/ethernet cams and a Blue Iris server.

But they still have several functional TVI cams and coax in place we'd like to use as-is until we can upgrade them. The previous TVI DVR is no longer functional, so don't want to replace it just for this temporary use.

I see various TVI-to-HDMI adpaters available, but nothing that seems to allow connecting TVI cams to an IP-based DVR. Short of using a TVI DVR and pulling it's video into BI, that is, but as i mentioned, the old TVI DVR is dead and will not be replaced.

I know, the final answer is to go all IP, but I wonder why there are no single-cam TVI-to-IP adapters?

I'd even be open to a card we could put in the BI server to take in 2-4 TVI cam inputs on the PC and suck them into BI that way, but I find no such beast. Maybe i'm not looking for the right thing?

Ideas? Thanx, Paul.
what you are looking for is an encoder, but they will be more expensive than simply buying a cheap tvi dvr...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score