two servers recording each other. HTTP 302 redirection errors on both

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I have a peculiar situation with blue iris not been able to connect to another blue iris server.
I have two instances of paid BI running on two different locations. I have always been able to view and record all local and remote cameras on both locations at the same time. On occasion and usually after a router or computer reboot I would loose access to the remote cameras but a computer reboot or restart of the BI server brought them back (I would usually shut down the UI and it asks for an update on restart so I take the opportunity to have BI shut down and restart the service as part of the update)
Today my Asus router at one location blew up so i replaced it. I was able to rebuilt the config and tried to connect to the remote server as usual in order to add all the cameras back. When I couldn't I rebooted the router at the remote location as well and then restarted the remote computer since that didnt fix it, so I lost access to the other set of remote cameras there too. Now each server can see their own local cameras but gets a "302 redirect" message on the remote ones IN BOTH LOCATIONS respectively !
If i go to the camera configuration/video page of one of those cameras and click the video link (url/address) of the camera, it connects to the remote webserver through the browser without a problem and all the cameras local to that BI server show up. If I try to re-do the webserver configuration on either one they both fail at the "remote access test" page and I do not get a "verified server" line, yet the port is visible to "canyouseeme.org" and BI is binded to the correct WAN ip. Another interesting twist is that I can see both of them on my phone running the "ipcam viewer" app. I would also add that I do NOT have UPNP enabled in either location and do not forward any other ports except one TCP port for BI which I monitor occasionally through the router log file and other means.
I would appreciate it if someone was brave enough to read through my post and try to help
Thank you for your time

Last edited:

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to add that Im running the latest blue iris update on both locations as of two hrs ago...Version: Release 4.8.2.5 x64 on Dell i7's

Last edited:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you post a diagram of what you are doing? I'm not familar with Blue iris but it's most likely going to be a network connectivity issue.
Are you trying to connect across the internet?. Why don't you do a site to site vpn?

Also check windows firewall, it blocks a lot of programs and may have re enabled itself after a windows update if you initially had it turned off.

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Thanks for replying but I think this might be specific to Blue iris. I can see the port open, I can bring up both servers webpages over the internet, I can login and see live video. What I cannot do is get the remote blue iris server into the local blue iris server on either side. This is something that I could do before and used to record the remote and local cameras on both servers, this way I had an offsite backup for both of them. My setup is below. local servers-record local cameras and also have blue iris port open for the webserver. (this is true on both installations). Local servers on either side also record remote servers cameras (I import the remote blue iris cameras as http:// xxxxxx.com:blue iris port number) then I chose "generic video" and "raw H264/remote camera name" in order to tell blue iris which specific camera I want to import. It has worked this way for 2 plus years with the occasional glitch after a router reboot or loss of power and such. This setup no longer works as I get the "http:302 redirection" error now on all remote cameras on both servers BOTH WAYS! in other words each server can see its own LAN cameras but not the remote ones
if you have an insight on what might of happened I would appreciate it
Thanks

Last edited:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice set up you had there. I still think you may have a connectivity issue, perhaps a DNS problem ?, do you have a domain name registered for each of the sites for the http address ?, perhaps try using the WAN IP ?

Good luck in your troubleshooting.

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I re-read this and realize its complicated so just to simplify: I can connect to a blue iris webserver, login and get video feed locally and from any remote location on all different devices and apps.
I have another blue iris installation at a different location and im trying to add a camera onto it which is part of the first blue iris webserver.

I click on add new camera-- give it a name-- go to the video config--put in the internet address port number --( i tried both DDNS and IP)--put in user name and pswd of remote server---go to make/model of camera and put make: "generic" then model: "raw H.264 then video path /h264/(the cameraname) as it appears on the remote blue iris server--params: is blank--camera is "0". It always used to work with this setup. Now it doesnt. Instead I get a http://302 redirection error message.

Hope this is a little more clear.
thanks in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I re-read this and realize its complicated so just to simplify: I can connect to a blue iris webserver, login and get video feed locally and from any remote location on all different devices and apps.
I have another blue iris installation at a different location and im trying to add a camera onto it which is part of the first blue iris webserver.

I click on add new camera-- give it a name-- go to the video config--put in the internet address port number --( i tried both DDNS and IP)--put in user name and pswd of remote server---go to make/model of camera and put make: "generic" then model: "raw H.264 then video path /h264/(the cameraname) as it appears on the remote blue iris server--params: is blank--camera is "0". It always used to work with this setup. Now it doesnt. Instead I get a http://302 redirection error message.

Hope this is a little more clear.
thanks in advance
on the asus routers, try disabling DOS protection.

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
on the asus routers, try disabling DOS protection.
Yeah. Already disable by default. Thanks. Other side is on Netgear r700. Still same problrem.!

Anyone knows if maybe this functionality was disabled in latest version of Blue Iris? Or the way to do this have somehow changed or maybe a new security feature that needs to be configured?

Also come to think about it, why wouldn't blue iris appear in the list of dvr's under make and model when importing a new camera? I would think this functionality would be fantastic and easy for the developer to implement!
I imagine in this case one wouldn't have to import each camera individually but import the remote BI in its entirety, all cameras at once.

Also as a side note in order to help others. On an Asus router, for some unknown/a...s backwards reason, when forwarding a port DO NOT FILL IN THE "LOCAL PORT" FIELD or the "source target" field only fill in the "port range", "local ip" and "protocol" fields, otherwise ports will not be forwarded

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
I FIGURED IT OUT!

settings>webserver>advanced>UNCHECK require [from all connections] [x] use secure session keys and login page.

The last update must of changed this setting by default. I certainly didn't do it. Obviously this only applies to you if you're not using https (which would prob be a good idea to do anyway).

The funny thing is that when the webserver is accessed by any other means except from within another blue iris it works without a hitch and so even though I had noticed this setting before I did not change it....

this sucks as I waisted a lot of time on it but maybe someone else will benefit. Thanks to all that replied and tried to help

If a moderator would like to (or want me to) change the title of this post so its more easily searchable please let me know and i will be happy to do so

PS. Re-enabling the "secure connections" setting DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE (does not break the connection) after the cameras are connected. I might have to test that on restart but i'm almost sure the setting will stick!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I FIGURED IT OUT!

settings>webserver>advanced>UNCHECK require [from all connections] [x] use secure session keys and login page.

The last update must of changed this setting by default. I certainly didn't do it. Obviously this only applies to you if you're not using https (which would prob be a good idea to do anyway).

The funny thing is that when the webserver is accessed by any other means except from within another blue iris it works without a hitch and so even though I had noticed this setting before I did not change it....

this sucks as I waisted a lot of time on it but maybe someone else will benefit. Thanks to all that replied and tried to help

If a moderator would like to (or want me to) change the title of this post so its more easily searchable please let me know and i will be happy to do so

PS. Re-enabling the "secure connections" setting DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE (does not break the connection) after the cameras are connected. I might have to test that on restart but i'm almost sure the setting will stick!
That setting has nothing to do with it... It has always worked with that setting and still does and you should have it checked otherwise you're opening up a security hole..

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman. I agree 100% that this setting should not have anything to do with my issue and I did re-enabled it after the cameras connected but im also 100% sure it fixed my issue in the way I described above. Its was instantaneous. No mistake about it. I was connected through remote desktop to the remote server while I was trying to troubleshoot and witnessed the change happen live as I was doing it. It must be a glitch in the code. I dont have any other explanation. I hate to disagree with you on this point as I appreciate your expertise and your overall contribution to this forum but I just want you to be aware that it was not a mistake on my part. I troubleshooted in a methodical way, one change at a time, restart the servers for changes to take effect, monitor for changes for a few minutes, check the log files, then reverse the change and move on to the next one. In this instance I did not even get a chance to restart the server because the cameras started popping up immediately.
Either way I'm in the processes of upgrading my firewall/router appliances, I will most likely put toghether a pfsece box or get something from ubiquity, and setup VPN's for access in the near future. This would be the best way to go anyway
Thanks for the help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman. I agree 100% that this setting should not have anything to do with my issue and I did re-enabled it after the cameras connected but im also 100% sure it fixed my issue in the way I described above. Its was instantaneous. No mistake about it. I was connected through remote desktop to the remote server while I was trying to troubleshoot and witnessed the change happen live as I was doing it. It must be a glitch in the code. I dont have any other explanation. I hate to disagree with you on this point as I appreciate your expertise and your overall contribution to this forum but I just want you to be aware that it was not a mistake on my part. I troubleshooted in a methodical way, one change at a time, restart the servers for changes to take effect, monitor for changes for a few minutes, check the log files, then reverse the change and move on to the next one. In this instance I did not even get a chance to restart the server because the cameras started popping up immediately.
Either way I'm in the processes of upgrading my firewall/router appliances, I will most likely put toghether a pfsece box or get something from ubiquity, and setup VPN's for access in the near future. This would be the best way to go anyway
Thanks for the help
You stated yourself in the op that the problem started after you changed routers...that didnt magically create a glitch in the code.

Reaction score
@fenderman..... I can confirm that what spiro is saying is true. I have a setup where I have 4 blue iris servers connected to each other. After the last update, 4.8.2.5, two of my servers lost connection to each other and I was unable to resolve the issue. Just for giggles, after seeing this post, I disabled the "use secure session keys and login page" after which the servers were able to connect again. Then I re-enabled the setting with no issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman..... I can confirm that what spiro is saying is true. I have a setup where I have 4 blue iris servers connected to each other. After the last update, 4.8.2.5, two of my servers lost connection to each other and I was unable to resolve the issue. Just for giggles, after seeing this post, I disabled the "use secure session keys and login page" after which the servers were able to connect again. Then I re-enabled the setting with no issue.
problem is he said nothing about updating BI until the second post where it appears he did it after the problem started.... otherwise it would have worked after replacing the router...He said it started after swapping routers. When reporting issues its important to cover everything that changed...you should email support and report the bug.

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
You stated yourself in the op that the problem started after you changed routers...that didnt magically create a glitch in the code.
That's why it was so hard to isolate the problem. I changed routers while in the meantime I updated the blue iris installations. I spent most of my time trying to figure out router issues instead of looking at blue iris settings/issues since I hadn't made any changes there!.

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
That's why it was so hard to isolate the problem. I changed routers while in the meantime I updated the blue iris installations. I spent most of my time trying to figure out router issues instead of looking at blue iris settings/issues since I hadn't made any changes there!.
I will email support. Thanks again

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: Fix is not permanent. Issue returns and connectivity is lost again after some time. Must re-enable non ssl logins in order to work. Emailed support last week. Haven't heard back yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: Fix is not permanent. Issue returns and connectivity is lost again after some time. Must re-enable non ssl logins in order to work. Emailed support last week. Haven't heard back yet.
revert back to an older version

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: Received reply from developer acknowledging my email. Updated to latest version today. Looks like problem is fixed with latest update.