Two way audio support

conner05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How’s the two way audio support in BI? Can I get a standalone IP speaker and do two way talk while viewing a camera on mobile or is that only possible if the two way audio exists on the cam you’re currently viewing?

this will be important for us as we build out our camera system, especially for entrances where we may need that feature.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How’s the two way audio support in BI? Can I get a standalone IP speaker and do two way talk while viewing a camera on mobile or is that only possible if the two way audio exists on the cam you’re currently viewing?

this will be important for us as we build out our camera system, especially for entrances where we may need that feature.
Hi @conner05

Quick reply .. I do not have a frontdoor video intercom ..

IP VoIP specs and products traditionally were not in the realm of IP CCTV camera systems .. this has been changing, still do not think you have to have a good all in one solution - often enough people are using one solution for on-premise security camera recordings and alerts, and a separate product for the front door video VoIP doorbell ..

That noted, do look for what others have posted who are Blue Iris users with footdoor video intercoms ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind two-way audio on these devices are not like phones, more like walkie talkies. So when you are talking, you won't hear them, and vice versa. And there is a delay since they are IP based.

If you are looking at it in BI on the computer it is on (as opposed to remote desktop in), then yes you can do the two-way talk that way using the speakers of the PC, a standalone, headset, etc.

If you buy the BI mobile app, you can do two-way with it as well.

If the camera supports two-way built in (speaker and mic) that is obviously the easy way. But many cameras come with additional input/output wires for things like this that you could always add an external mic and speaker if you chose.

Or you run additional wire to accomplish it separate.

Most will end up going with a different system doorbell that better supports that two-way talk. But then it ends up going thru servers somewhere else. Comes down to intended use and frequency.

conner05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We already have some Eufy products in our home so I’m not opposed to using their offering for just the door in order to have a convo with someone at the door or something like that. So, I guess at that point it just comes down to preference.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We already have some Eufy products in our home so I’m not opposed to using their offering for just the door in order to have a convo with someone at the door or something like that. So, I guess at that point it just comes down to preference.
Yes, just get good cables to the locations .. see my reply in the other thread .. oh, make certain you also have doorbell power cables to the front door ..

Cabling is normally the hardest part imho