Tying in LaView/Dahua cameras to my Lorex NVR

JeremyH

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a Lorex kit at Costco with 6 cameras, and I needed to add two more cameras. I bought two LaView LVS-DHPTK3682W-28s and plugged them straight into the NVR (LN-6108X0N) without pre-initializing them or doing anything else. They picked up an IP address from my NVR in the correct IP range, but I can't access them using the Dahua IP Config Tool. I unplugged them from the NVR and plugged them into a single PoE adapter and into a switch not connected to the network, then plugged a desktop into the same switch. The IP address stayed, and I am now able to connect to the camera and see it, so I know it all works. It presents a login similar to the NVR login page, and I was able to reset the password.

How do I get the camera to work in the Lorex NVR? Do I need to do a full reset on the camera?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You might need to configure it to be on the same DHCP range as the Lorex NVR. Some companies also put certain restrictions on their NVR's to disallow other brands from connecting to the NVR. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, first try the DHCP change then report back. If you really want to mix and match Blue Iris or a Dahua-branded NVR may be the better option

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a Lorex kit at Costco with 6 cameras, and I needed to add two more cameras. I bought two LaView LVS-DHPTK3682W-28s and plugged them straight into the NVR (LN-6108X0N) without pre-initializing them or doing anything else. They picked up an IP address from my NVR in the correct IP range, but I can't access them using the Dahua IP Config Tool. I unplugged them from the NVR and plugged them into a single PoE adapter and into a switch not connected to the network, then plugged a desktop into the same switch. The IP address stayed, and I am now able to connect to the camera and see it, so I know it all works. It presents a login similar to the NVR login page, and I was able to reset the password.

How do I get the camera to work in the Lorex NVR? Do I need to do a full reset on the camera?
Hi @JeremyH

iirc there's a lorex thread which adding a Dahua OEM camera to a Lorex NVR ( Dahua OEM ) was covered.

Basically you need to sync: IP, ports, user / password, and video stream info ( for live viewing on the OSD - ie attached screen to the nvr ) between the NVR's channel and the camera.

JeremyH

n3wb
Reaction score
You might need to configure it to be on the same DHCP range as the Lorex NVR. Some companies also put certain restrictions on their NVR's to disallow other brands from connecting to the NVR. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, first try the DHCP change then report back. If you really want to mix and match Blue Iris or a Dahua-branded NVR may be the better option
This is going to sound really stupid and basic, but I wanted to reply and post here so anyone else encountering the issue might be able to use the same remedy I did. It turns out the cameras were on some password that's not the default, and I had never set one initially, so the NVR couldn't talk to them. I did the following:

1. Isolate the camera using a single 48V PoE adapter and plug it into a switch that is not network-connected.
  2. Ensure you have the web plugin to view the camera (why it can't natively work in Chrome, I have no idea).
  3. Plug in a desktop computer to the same switch. I didn't have to set the IP of the desktop, even though it went to the automatic private-assigned IP address.
  4. Open the web plugin app and navigate to the IP address of the camera.
  5. Click the forgot password link. Take a picture of the QR code and email it to the address shown, which responds very quickly.
  6. Use the security code to login to the camera interface and change the password.
  7. Remove the devices from the switch and plug the camera back into the NVR (and the computer back into the network switch).
  8. Open the web plugin, navigate to the NVR and login, then go to the Setup tab.
  9. Find the camera in the list, and click the pencil icon to edit the settings.
  10. Set the new password to be the one you created in step 6, and click OK.
  11. Click the Refresh button, and it should now show up as connected, as well as show the camera model in the Types column.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is going to sound really stupid and basic, but I wanted to reply and post here so anyone else encountering the issue might be able to use the same remedy I did. It turns out the cameras were on some password that's not the default, and I had never set one initially, so the NVR couldn't talk to them. I did the following:

1. Isolate the camera using a single 48V PoE adapter and plug it into a switch that is not network-connected.
  2. Ensure you have the web plugin to view the camera (why it can't natively work in Chrome, I have no idea).
  3. Plug in a desktop computer to the same switch. I didn't have to set the IP of the desktop, even though it went to the automatic private-assigned IP address.
  4. Open the web plugin app and navigate to the IP address of the camera.
  5. Click the forgot password link. Take a picture of the QR code and email it to the address shown, which responds very quickly.
  6. Use the security code to login to the camera interface and change the password.
  7. Remove the devices from the switch and plug the camera back into the NVR (and the computer back into the network switch).
  8. Open the web plugin, navigate to the NVR and login, then go to the Setup tab.
  9. Find the camera in the list, and click the pencil icon to edit the settings.
  10. Set the new password to be the one you created in step 6, and click OK.
  11. Click the Refresh button, and it should now show up as connected, as well as show the camera model in the Types column.
2 Ensure you have the web plugin to view the camera (why it can't natively work in Chrome, I have no idea).

FYI - reports that newer firmware is using updated html standards for browser functionality, so try updating the firmware if you need standard browsers to work w/o plugins.