UART connection to recover Hik cameras

Billiboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've checked on the net at times other cams. In the link the cables are reversed as it looks. Everywhere it's like in your picture.
Thanks for your quick response. I will definitely soon open an extra contribution, I have 2 cams where I might need help.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As discussed earlier, the tx pin on the cam connects to the rx pin on the computer and the rx pin on the cam connects to the tx pin on the computer (level shifted)

aryjrbnu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to connect via PuTTY on a Hikvision DS-7608HI-ST but unsuccessful in all attempts. I'm using the settings shown in the forum being BR115200 SB1 DB8 FC none. Follow print from the terminal screen. Sorry for the translation via Google Translate.Terminal.PNG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What type of serial convertor are you using?
The screendump looks like what you get when using a classic RS232 interface (+-15v signalling) and not a TTL serial interface (0 -> +3v signalling)
Usually a PL2303-based USB to TTL serial convertor is what's needed.

Billiboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use Tera Term for the console.
If the setting is wrong, you can also get an incorrect display.
Use these settings.
com.JPGtera.JPG

aryjrbnu

n3wb
Reaction score
hello, I'm using a USB adapter 232 based on the PL-2303 chip. I tested at all speeds available and does not work. Always displays the screen sent in the previous post.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The usual 115,200 baud, 8 bits no parity should work OK.
Do you still get those invalid characters during the startup after you reboot the DVR?

Do you still have web GUI access to the Hikvision DS-7608HI-ST ?
If so - are there any settings for the serial interface?
I'm wondering if there are any settings choices for the RS485 and serial console.

Billiboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you say more exactly which adapter you use?
Perhaps it is the driver of the adapter.
Try a different terminal program.

aryjrbnu

n3wb
Reaction score
Even using the recommended settings continue to receive invalid characters. In the access to the GUI of the equipment there is no option on Serial Port, only the PTZ adjustments in the video channels. I made the attempts on two pieces of equipment and the result was the same. The USB / 232 Converter is functional because I use it to access switch consoles and I get success in every attempt.

The usual 115,200 baud, 8 bits no parity should work OK.
Do you still get those invalid characters during the startup after you reboot the DVR?

Do you still have web GUI access to the Hikvision DS-7608HI-ST ?
If so - are there any settings for the serial interface?
I'm wondering if there are any settings choices for the RS485 and serial console.
- - - Updated - - -

Prolific Adapter Based 2303.

Can you say more exactly which adapter you use?
Perhaps it is the driver of the adapter.
Try a different terminal program.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible (it happens on the Huisun Mini PTZ cameras) that some program in the firmware takes over and changes the settings of the UART.
But this would not happen until after startup, so it's worth checking what you see immediately after a reboot.

Billiboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are sure that it is the right connection, you can unfortunately recognize in the picture nothing since it has bad quality. I have here a DS-7604HI-ST / A which has 2 connections. One is near the realtek chips, the other is near intersil chip. The Intersil chip is the right one. It can also be that the connection is not equipped with a base. I had recently a camera on the table, since the connection was missing on the board, it was not soldered.

IMG_0315.JPG

Billiboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use this UART with Win 10, and no Problems on CAM´S an Recorders.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731
My suggestion would be, you try it times with another Terminal Programm and another UART. Otherwise I have also no idea. I also had times cryptic characters on a camera, which was however corrected after I had exchanged the cable of the camera. There was a short circuit at the Network plug.

aryjrbnu

n3wb
Reaction score
On the motherboard of the DS-7608HI-ST there are only two connectors available, one of which is connected to the RCA audio input connectors, and the other connector is the one mentioned in the photo I sent.

You are sure that it is the right connection, you can unfortunately recognize in the picture nothing since it has bad quality. I have here a DS-7604HI-ST / A which has 2 connections. One is near the realtek chips, the other is near intersil chip. The Intersil chip is the right one. It can also be that the connection is not equipped with a base. I had recently a camera on the table, since the connection was missing on the board, it was not soldered.

View attachment 14542

aryjrbnu

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried several Terminal software but they have the same feature. I ordered another USB / Serial converter with FTDI chip that should arrive next week. I'll run the tests and keep you posted.

I use this UART with Win 10, and no Problems on CAM´S an Recorders.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731
My suggestion would be, you try it times with another Terminal Programm and another UART. Otherwise I have also no idea. I also had times cryptic characters on a camera, which was however corrected after I had exchanged the cable of the camera. There was a short circuit at the Network plug.

Billiboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perhaps the connection is not soldered, so I wanted to have a picture where you can recognize what synonymous. I think the connection is very far away from Prozessor chip, but I can also be wrong.
IMG_0318.JPG

Billiboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey @aryjrbnu look what I had today ... This is a 2CD2642-FWD-I.
Camera boots cleanly to the web GUI.
After a reset, normal characters would be returned to the console.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Readable characters confirm that the settings are good - but loads of corruption evident. There should be none.
Is flow control active? If so, see how it is when turned off.
How are the cable lengths? At 115,200 baud more than a meter or so can be troublesome.