ubiquiti G3 micro

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Happy Monday folks !!

Over the weekend, I came across a small IP cam by ubiquiti, the G3 micro.

Its a very small footprint cam that is 1080 @ 30fps. Have any of you good folks looked into it and have any feedback/comments? I did see a youtube video where the person compared it to the regular G3 and you could easily tell the pic from the regular G3 was more colorful and vibrant. Given the G3's micro size, the video didn't look bad at all. I don't know how it would perform at night time, etc. Also, the street price is around $200 and under...and it is primarily for indoor use..but I suppose anyone could also use it right above their front door, etc., if it wasn't installed directly where it could get exposed to the elements...

Anywhooo, just thought to ask and get some thoughts from the experts here...

thanks !!

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC, the UniFi cameras don’t support ONVIF or RTSP, so they won’t work with other brand NVRs or VMS (like Blue Iris). This makes them unusable to most folks here.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IIRC, the UniFi cameras don’t support ONVIF or RTSP, so they won’t work with other brand NVRs or VMS (like Blue Iris). This makes them unusable to most folks here.
thank you. With no flexibility for all that you mentioned, I suppose its a good choice for those on ubiquiti eco system.

Last edited:

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
their other cameras support RTSP. I have a few and they are great.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
their other cameras support RTSP. I have a few and they are great.
support for rstp limits you to continuous record on an NVR or using a software based vms with server side motion detection. Their cameras are way overpriced for the images they produce. There was also a time where they removed rtsp support from their firmware and only returned it after a major backlash from users.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^ this is true. I think you are paying for the ecosystem in this case. They 4x zoom "pro" cameras are nice though but very pricey.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They 4x zoom "pro" cameras are nice though but very pricey.
I was happy to see these. They look UBNT's take of the Dahua varifocal Starlight turret (5x zoom). There was a thread here are year or so ago where a UBNT employee was participating in, and UBNT not having anything close to a varifocal Starlight was a big point being made against Unifi at that time, IIRC.