Ubiquiti Networks Cloud Gateway Ultra

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked one of these up in search of a relatively cheap easy to use vlan capable router (see the issues with the Asus expertwifi here Asus expertwifi ebr63 with vlan) . The amount of features packed in this unit for 130 bux is insane. I ordered from B&H and had it the next day. The Ubiquiti does require a cloud account - it is secured with 2fa. This is a wired router and you will need a AP for wifi. I went with the U6+ for about 120 on amazon (the $99 u6 lite is out of stock via sites that have quick shipping). Yes you can use other access points but the integration wont be as smooth and we are looking for easy here. So for about 230-250 you can have a full setup. They claim a 1gb throughput with full ids/ips enabled.
The router itself is built solid - relatively heavy and feels ultra premium. Even the packaging feels premium. I was really impressed. The small display on the front is an added bonus - and it will even auto rotate if you flip it upside down. The interface is super fast and crisp. It may take a little while to get used to if you have not used Ubiquiti before. Lots of great data on the dashboard. There are plenty of youtube videos that provide a more in depth description. Oh and its USB C powered - Nice!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the U6+ wifi access point. Nicely built and its plug and play. Easily setup 5 different ssids and assigned each to a different vlan. This is by far the best setup I have seen for $250. Very polished, fast and lots of options.
The learning curve is a steeper than the synology rt6600ax router however well worth it. I would still recommend the synology for someone looking for an easy option.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Ubiquiti does require a cloud account - it is secured with 2fa. [/URL]
it´s a bit tricky, but you can decline the usage of an ui.com account in the initial wizard. but it is also possible to disable the remote features later on in the console.

in principle, however, the ui.com account is certainly also a practical feature for remote properties for many people.

AGPharmD

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve been using UniFi since 2014-2015. I was starting my business and needed WiFi throughout our 8000sq ft+ facility which come to find out is built like a faraday cage. I was quoted absurd amount of money by installers.

instead, being technically inclined, I did some research, taught myself the basics, and installed a 9-AP system + UniFi gateway (router) + 24-port PoE switch. (Not too long we updated the APs and replaced the USG-4-Pro with a DreamMachine- which unlocks a bunch of new set of capabilities in the UniFi ecosystem. My parents have a Dream Machine Pro SE + Protect Cams.

I was so impressed with the ease of integration and amount of effort UniFi puts in to constantly update their software despite not charging subscriptions or licenses is amazing (if not annoying, every time you log into system things are changed). I ended up investing in Ubiquity at $32-34/share knowing they had something really special.

I have since installed Unifi in my house, my parents., my sister, and several friends. And now I’m going down the same road with cameras it seems.

There’s actually a rumor going around on Reddit that UniFi Protect (NVR system) may be unavailing support for 3rd party cameras. That would solve a bunch of frustrations I have had with Protect.

I’m happy to hear you are satisfied with your purchase and impressed with the ease of use. Once you experience UniFi you never want to go back to home network equipment again.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a way to buy one of these without the wife finding out (luckily our current router has been suffering dropouts so I might get the go ahead soon anyway).

There's a good vlan setup guide here.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Has the controller gotten better? I used to have everything Unifi (APs, switches, routers) but moved off them years ago as their controller software just sucks. Lots of bugs from what I can remember. Ended up going with Aruba Instant On products and these things are bullet proof.

Maybe the controller is better now as it’s been a long time since I messed with them.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I might get the go ahead soon anyway
After two router drop outs in one day I'd had enough.
My CGU is currently installing.
I'd previously bought a TP-Link deco wifi mesh kit last month so the wifi side will still be taken care of.
The plan is to eventually get some unifi APs as well but there's not so much of a hurry there.
The decos work well.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I replaced my old USG Pro 4 with a UXG-Max. I run the controller on an Intel NUC and VPN on a couple of RPi4. Seems to be a bit of weight in the UXG-Max as well.