UI3 Not Viewable Via Second NIC

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to setup a dedicated computer to always display UI3 and have it on the same "network" as the second NIC in my BI machine. I have put the cameras on that NIC to ensure they are isolated and thought it would be simple to put this didicated viewer on that same "network" to keep the traffic off my LAN.
In Blue Iris I have the web server bound to both NICs (image below, .1.10 is from following TL1096r's directions to setup the dual NIC and allow easy access a new camera). When accessing UI3 from the Blue Iris machine, I can use either IP address. I can access UI3 on the .73 NIC from my LAN. I can ping the second NIC (192.168.22.10) from my dedicated viewing computer (after enabling it in Window's Windows Defender Firewall) so I think I have that subnet set correctly there, but I cannot get UI3 to display at all? The browser just timeouts out without returning and website.

Can anyone provide guidance as to what I am doing wrong?

1641313334906.png 1641312557567.png

Thank you

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The question is can the .22 network be accessed from the .1 network. Open a command prompt on the .1 network machine and ping an address on the .22 network, like 192.168.22.10 . That will show if you can actually access that network. If the .22 network is on a separate NIC in your BI machine it will be unreachable because Windows does not route traffic between different networks it may be attached to.

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
The question is can the .22 network be accessed from the .1 network. Open a command prompt on the .1 network machine and ping an address on the .22 network, like 192.168.22.10 . That will show if you can actually access that network. If the .22 network is on a separate NIC in your BI machine it will be unreachable because Windows does not route traffic between different networks it may be attached to.
Thank you for the quick response!
My screenshot above is the camera NIC on my Blue Iris machine. The .1 network is just there for new cameras before I set those up and put them on the .22 network. The viewing computer is on the .22 network and can ping my Blue Iris machine, aka 192.168.22.10.

I doubt it is the problem, but I can remove the .1 setting from that NIC as I do not get additional cameras every day if needed? I figured it is not hurting anything and left it for convenience but it would be pretty simple to only add when needed.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also add a second IP address to the same NIC. That would allow you to access .22 and .1 at the same time from any machine configured that way. If you want to do that I'll post or PM some directions for doing that.

TonyR just posted while I'm typing this. I assumed you were using the port number for UI3 along with the IP address. We all know what happens when you assume ;)

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, good question on the port, but yes, 192.168.22.10:2262/ui3.htm

sebastiantombs, is adding a second IP address my camera NIC what I have done? Thank you for offering directions on doing that. I do not really want to do that, but if needed I will? I would be find with only having things on that side on .22.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe you need to assign an IP to the "Default Gateway" of the non-camera network NIC on the BI system.

If I am reading your posts correctly, I believe this is NIC that currently has 192.168.22.10 assigned as the static IP. The 'default gateway' IP is most likely 192.168.22.1, you can look at the settings on the machine you intend to monitor the BI server with to confirm. The monitoring machine should have the same default gateway value.

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe you need to assign an IP to the "Default Gateway" of the non-camera network NIC on the BI system.

If I am reading your posts correctly, I believe this is NIC that currently has 192.168.22.10 assigned as the static IP. The 'default gateway' IP is most likely 192.168.22.1, you can look at the settings on the machine you intend to monitor the BI server with to confirm. The monitoring machine should have the same default gateway value.
I will try adding a default gateway to both this NIC on Blue Iris and the viewing machine this evening and post the behavior I see after that. As .22 is only the camera network and not supposed to be accessible from anywhere else, I assume (see sebastiantombs's post about assuming above) a default gateway is not needed. As I am making it up anyway, would 192.168.22.1 be best to use, or a different IP?

From someone who knows nothing about networking, could ping work without a default gateway while viewing a webpage would not?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... As .22 is only the camera network and not supposed to be accessible from anywhere else, I assume (see sebastiantombs's post about assuming above) a default gateway is not needed. As I am making it up anyway, would 192.168.22.1 be best to use, or a different IP?
Looks Like I mis-read your earlier posts.

You've just confirmed that the BI server NIC with the static IP of 192.168.22.10 is the camera network. DO NOT assign a default gateway value to this NIC for the reason you noted... the camera network should remain isolated, and a default gateway value should remain blank.

Please post the config of the other network card installed in the BI server when you get the chance.

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
Please post the config of the other network card installed in the BI server when you get the chance.
I will take a screenshot of it tonight, but I believe it is just set to DHCP, Obtain an IP address automatically.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Once again, Windows will not route traffic between two different networks on two different NICs in the same computer, default gateway or not to my knowledge. That is how your cameras remain isolated from the rest of your LAN. If it did, or does, there is no point, at all, in having a second NIC and different network scheme.

To access UI3 on another computer on you LAN, simply enter 192.168.22.10:81/ui3.htm on that computer. This assumes your BI machine is at 192.168.22.10 from your screen capture. UI3 resides on/in Blue Iris and has nothing to do with your camera network.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will take a screenshot of it tonight, but I believe it is just set to DHCP, Obtain an IP address automatically.
Courtesy of @samplenhold , I believe this below is what you're striving for. If so, the NIC #2 (as below) cannot be DHCP, there's no router to provide the IP so it needs to be made static in a different subnet from NIC #1 (as below).
Network Topology 0B.JPG

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
Once again, Windows will not route traffic between two different networks on two different NICs in the same computer, default gateway or not to my knowledge. That is how your cameras remain isolated from the rest of your LAN. If it did, or does, there is no point, at all, in having a second NIC and different network scheme.

To access UI3 on another computer on you LAN, simply enter 192.168.22.10:81/ui3.htm on that computer. This assumes your BI machine is at 192.168.22.10 from your screen capture. UI3 resides on/in Blue Iris and has nothing to do with your camera network.
My LAN side is the .73 and accessing UI3 from another machine on my LAN is working well.

I want to have a dedicated UI3 viewing machine on the .22 side of my Blue Iris setup but that is not able to load the webpage. I can ping Blue Iris from my dedicated viewing machine as it is also set to .22, but cannot access UI3...

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
Courtesy of @samplenhold , I believe this below is what you're striving for. If so, the NIC #2 (as below) cannot be DHCP, there's no router to provide the IP so it needs to be made static in a different subnet from NIC #1 (as below).
View attachment 114517
Yes, that is what I want/have except I also want another PC on the 192.168.2.xxx (or .22 in my case) side showing UI3 and I cannot get UI3 to load.
My NIC #2 is not DHCP, it is static .22 and shown in my screenshot above.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, then give 192.168.2.22:81/ui3.htm a try if you haven't already. I'd change that HTTP port from 2262 back to 81 just for simplicity and it won't bother anything to do so.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
My LAN side is the .73 and accessing UI3 from another machine on my LAN is working well.

I want to have a dedicated UI3 viewing machine on the .22 side of my Blue Iris setup but that is not able to load the webpage. I can ping Blue Iris from my dedicated viewing machine as it is also set to .22, but cannot access UI3...
Dang... I got this perceived all wrong. I thought you could not access UI3 from the non-camera network. :facepalm:

Curious, why do you want a 2nd machine on the camera network to monitor UI3?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, even though it allows you to change the port number, we have seen too many instances like this where people have trouble viewing UI3 and it turns out they changed the port number...Maybe something is coded in BI or maybe not, but no real security reason to change it. If someone is up to no good, a port sniffer will find your higher port number in 0.000001 seconds, so you do not relay ward off an attack by changing it.

mincient

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, then give 192.168.2.22:81/ui3.htm a try if you haven't already. I'd change that HTTP port from 2262 back to 81 just for simplicity and it won't bother anything to do so.
Yep, even though it allows you to change the port number, we have seen too many instances like this where people have trouble viewing UI3 and it turns out they changed the port number...Maybe something is coded in BI or maybe not, but no real security reason to change it. If someone is up to no good, a port sniffer will find your higher port number in 0.000001 seconds, so you do not relay ward off an attack by changing it.
I will try that tonight at see if using 81 allows viewing on the camera network (.22).
2262 works fine on the LAN (.73) side. My thought was to keep all camera related traffic at a unique port so it will be obvious what it is if I see any 2262 traffic somewhere.

Curious, why do you want a 2nd machine on the camera network to monitor UI3?
I saw that Blue Iris binds to both NICs by default, thought that a simple way to set things up keeping some traffic off of my LAN, and this viewing machine will have no other purpose so I thought I would put it on the camera network too.