Ultra PTZ comparison SD8A840VI-HNI versus SD6AL830V-HNI

KKH

n3wb
Reaction score
SD6AL830V-HNI: Night vision long range and day zoom is great. During the day it hates heat though, especially night temps at around 90F with day temps in 95+F. Keep it in the shade (mine only got about 3 hours of exposed sunlight in the morning and it couldn't ever dump the heat).

SD8A840VI-HNI: Day vision is great, night vision long range tends to wash out features (due to high IR) but does well.Although don't expect it to illuminate all the way to the range of the zoom.

Of course the 8A zooms in further, but both have great day quality. I mounted two 8As recently 3 and 4 stories up, the zoom did at least a mile distance. By "did" i mean that it zoomed in to be able to have a 1/4 of the screen with a light fixture focused on it. The 6A focus long range was excellent.

robilium

n3wb
Reaction score
Uh oh for the heat! A typical day where we are in Central California is over 100F in the summer and the camera would be out in the sun directly mounted to the top of a 50' windmill and likely in the sun all day. What happens when it gets hot?

Anyone try out SD5A445XA-HNR?

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Trying to decide on a long range optical zoom Ptz camera. I mount this high on a windmill and use it to manage a vineyard by zooming in on different vines far away. Zoom and quality is most important. Night vision is nice to have. Andy has a few different high end ptz right now. This one looks new: SD5A445XA-HNR? There is also the SD8A840VI-HN. Any thoughts on the new guy?
If you have good budget, SD8A840VI-HNI is the best of best. This camera is a little bigger than than the SD5A445XA-HNR.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the SD5A445XA-HNR will be the mid range quality Pro series camera replacing the SD59XXX series with AI features.
The SD8A840VI-HN is one of the best Dahua PTZ's available without AI, and the SD8A840WA-HNF with AI, the specs look like the same camera/ both with starlight+
SD8A250WA-HNF comes in at 50X 2MP with AI and no starlight + according to the spec sheet.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How much are the SD8A840VI-HN and the SD8A840WA-HNF? Those are both 4K? I could probably live without auto tracking if it would bring the cost down.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
How much are the SD8A840VI-HN and the SD8A840WA-HNF? Those are both 4K? I could probably live without auto tracking if it would bring the cost down.
SD8A840WA-HNF price around 2000USD:banghead:
SD8A840VI-HNI , Crazy working well, and not such old model;)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi These camera look really good. By Any chance any footage of fast moving object ? Like car at night and day ?For comparison ? Thank you !

PjH

n3wb
Reaction score
SD6AL830V-HNI: Night vision long range and day zoom is great. During the day it hates heat though, especially night temps at around 90F with day temps in 95+F. Keep it in the shade (mine only got about 3 hours of exposed sunlight in the morning and it couldn't ever dump the heat).

SD8A840VI-HNI: Day vision is great, night vision long range tends to wash out features (due to high IR) but does well.Although don't expect it to illuminate all the way to the range of the zoom.

Of course the 8A zooms in further, but both have great day quality. I mounted two 8As recently 3 and 4 stories up, the zoom did at least a mile distance. By "did" i mean that it zoomed in to be able to have a 1/4 of the screen with a light fixture focused on it. The 6A focus long range was excellent.
I have a Dahua SD8A840VI-HNI. I would agree with KKH's comments that it produces excellent images in daylight but it underperforms Dahua's claims at night. Dahua say the IR range is 450m. In my experience the night images with IR at 50m are good across the zoom range but the focus stability is variable, sometimes poor. At 150m the images lack sufficient contrast and brightness and as KKH says the features are washed out, especially so at the upper half of the zoom range. Not so useful at 150m at night