Ultra PTZ comparison SD8A840VI-HNI versus SD6AL830V-HNI

dana2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First question:
- are they both Starlight? Or just the SD8A
- which one is better. I am not interested in the zoom (40X versus 30X), however low light performance would be important for me.

Thanks!

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Both have the starvis sensor but the the DH-SD8A840VI-HNI is the starlight camera. They both have all the same features and both will have a excellent picture.
If low light is the most important to you than the SD8A840VI-HNI is the winner at - Color: 0.002Lux@F1.4; B/W: 0.0002Lux@F1.4; 0Lux@F1.4 (IR on)

dana2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! Any idea where I can buy them from?

Reaction score
Both have the starvis sensor but the the DH-SD8A840VI-HNI is the starlight camera. They both have all the same features and both will have a excellent picture.
If low light is the most important to you than the SD8A840VI-HNI is the winner at - Color: 0.002Lux@F1.4; B/W: 0.0002Lux@F1.4; 0Lux@F1.4 (IR on)
Any idea as to why Dahua doesn’t put these low light sensor in their smaller ptz? Big sensor?

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
They did put them in the SD6 / 8 / 10 series but not sure of the 4 & 5

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Actually we sold 1 last month, and get the feedback below for the SD8A840V-HNI. Expensive item, normally we not keep too many stock. I booked 2 again, can be ready around 20th.Dec.
I get a feedaback for this model SD8A840VI-HNI from a US client.
This 4K new Tech can have very good pics at low light places.
Here is the feedback

"Since I got it mounted (~2 days ago) the weather had been bad. Dark, gloomy and raining. Today, fog.
Even so, I can see the low light capability is pretty much identical to the SD6AL245U-HNI (2MP) you sent last summer, after a slight adjustment from default on the 240.
Overall, I will know more when the bad weather lifts, but it is definitely a great cam. One thing is for sure, the superior digital zoom gives the cam a much longer usable zoom range than the lens spec would indicate ."

SNN

n3wb
Reaction score
I am the US Client that HW Andy (Hard Working Andy) sent (he did his usual great job on that, just to let ya know). The camera is the recently released Dahua SD8A840VI-HNI (4K). I wanted to wait for nice weather, but in a week I would have officially waited a year, so ... .
It still has been mainly dark, overcast and rainy with heavy cloud cover all month. So here is the screen print recording of it recorded a couple of hours ago. YouTube (on my end) has degraded the detail some, so I hope it is representative. Please compare to screen shot stills to know, they should match in detail and clarity (can you see the orange and white buoy stuck between the logs several hundred yards away on the point? The long shots of houses on the islands are 5 Miles away! The still of the Ferry is 4 Miles away.
Be sure you set the Youtube Gear icon (lower right of Youtube screen) to 4k. It should show "4k" in a red box over the symbol. At first I hadn't set that and the quality was so poor it wouldn't have be worth looking at. The Youtube link is
The clarity of the video should be the same as the attached file "screen capture from onboard 400GB SD Card Recording.jpg". This is a printscreen shot of the same video as recorded by the Dahua recorder/player internal to the camera on a 400GB SD card (yes!, it can use the 400GB card, formats to about 375GB). You may notice I don't have the highest settings for bps either, to save space. So far the 400GB has been giving me about a weeks worth of 24/7 video with the lower quality compression setting (as used here also). Let me know it the resolution turned out ok on your side and if you are interested in any other shots such as night videos or stills.

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I am the US Client that HW Andy (Hard Working Andy) sent (he did his usual great job on that, just to let ya know). The camera is the recently released Dahua SD8A840VI-HNI (4K). I wanted to wait for nice weather, but in a week I would have officially waited a year, so ... .
It still has been mainly dark, overcast and rainy with heavy cloud cover all month. So here is the screen print recording of it recorded a couple of hours ago. YouTube (on my end) has degraded the detail some, so I hope it is representative. Please compare to screen shot stills to know, they should match in detail and clarity (can you see the orange and white buoy stuck between the logs several hundred yards away on the point? The long shots of houses on the islands are 5 Miles away! The still of the Ferry is 4 Miles away.
Be sure you set the Youtube Gear icon (lower right of Youtube screen) to 4k. It should show "4k" in a red box over the symbol. At first I hadn't set that and the quality was so poor it wouldn't have be worth looking at. The Youtube link is
The clarity of the video should be the same as the attached file "screen capture from onboard 400GB SD Card Recording.jpg". This is a printscreen shot of the same video as recorded by the Dahua recorder/player internal to the camera on a 400GB SD card (yes!, it can use the 400GB card, formats to about 375GB). You may notice I don't have the highest settings for bps either, to save space. So far the 400GB has been giving me about a weeks worth of 24/7 video with the lower quality compression setting (as used here also). Let me know it the resolution turned out ok on your side and if you are interested in any other shots such as night videos or stills.
Thanks for your sharing, the pics are crazy good, how about the nightvision? Please post some when you are free;)

SNN

n3wb
Reaction score
Link to this evenings night video (BW/with Infrared, B/W distance so W/O infrared and distance with color while changing a couple of settings). Screen recording during evening of drizzle.

KKH

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received the SD6AL830V-HNI from Andy/Empire a few days ago. I've done quite a few of these installs over the years, but it is not my day-job anymore. I was in a rush to order and didnt notice I needed a Hi-POE injector before installing, was a tad disappointing that I needed an extremely high wattage Hi-POE and it wasn't exactly obvious (but makes sense and is in the PDF/Specs).

For FYI; Make sure to buy a 40W+ Hi-POE injector (24v). It is not an IEEE standard, but is somewhat "standard" for these type of cameras. The Dahua branded ones aren't easy to come by, but they are available at a few places. Last two I ordered came back "out of stock" when the company tried to fulfill the order.

So far the SD6AL830V-HNI is looking pretty great. I had to lower the intensity of the laser to keep from making non-skin objects from looking weird. Benefit of the SD6AL830V-HNI is the clear faces at distance and no white-wash when night vision is on. Signal noise on the sensor isn't bad, and you can't beat the price. I think it's perfect for night if you don't care about color, and the sensor is sensitive enough to do fine till pretty low up until night switching.

I regret not getting the SD8A840VI-HNI, but will be ordering two more big 4k cameras... Anyone have any motion video from it at night in fairly low light situations? I'm really worried about motion/face blur in .02+/- lux conditions and lower. Well that and the size is huuuuge for the SD8, if I bought one for the side of the house for myself I'm not sure it'll fit reasonably.

The reason for my concern on the night color motion blur, I was impressed with overall viewing on the 6CE230UNI... but it left a lot to be desired on the street lamp illumination at around .02-.06lux (with a light meter). The parking lot that two of these camera will be installed with be similar conditions, and one well-lit area about 3 stories high. I'd love to have one color at night, but 1,800-ish is a lot to spend for an unknown blurring situation with low light on the SD8A840VI-HNI. I can't have the IR whitewashing a face zoomed in. I know the SD6AL830V-HNI will do the job great at night.d

TY again Andy! Service and contact were great, sorry I missed your messages.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just received the SD6AL830V-HNI from Andy/Empire a few days ago. I've done quite a few of these installs over the years, but it is not my day-job anymore. I was in a rush to order and didnt notice I needed a Hi-POE injector before installing, was a tad disappointing that I needed an extremely high wattage Hi-POE and it wasn't exactly obvious (but makes sense and is in the PDF/Specs).

For FYI; Make sure to buy a 40W+ Hi-POE injector (24v). It is not an IEEE standard, but is somewhat "standard" for these type of cameras. The Dahua branded ones aren't easy to come by, but they are available at a few places. Last two I ordered came back "out of stock" when the company tried to fulfill the order.

So far the SD6AL830V-HNI is looking pretty great. I had to lower the intensity of the laser to keep from making non-skin objects from looking weird. Benefit of the SD6AL830V-HNI is the clear faces at distance and no white-wash when night vision is on. Signal noise on the sensor isn't bad, and you can't beat the price. I think it's perfect for night if you don't care about color, and the sensor is sensitive enough to do fine till pretty low up until night switching.

I regret not getting the SD8A840VI-HNI, but will be ordering two more big 4k cameras... Anyone have any motion video from it at night in fairly low light situations? I'm really worried about motion/face blur in .02+/- lux conditions and lower. Well that and the size is huuuuge for the SD8, if I bought one for the side of the house for myself I'm not sure it'll fit reasonably.

The reason for my concern on the night color motion blur, I was impressed with overall viewing on the 6CE230UNI... but it left a lot to be desired on the street lamp illumination at around .02-.06lux (with a light meter). The parking lot that two of these camera will be installed with be similar conditions, and one well-lit area about 3 stories high. I'd love to have one color at night, but 1,800-ish is a lot to spend for an unknown blurring situation with low light on the SD8A840VI-HNI. I can't have the IR whitewashing a face zoomed in. I know the SD6AL830V-HNI will do the job great at night.d

TY again Andy! Service and contact were great, sorry I missed your messages.
This switch has 1 Hi-PoE port and a total power budget of 60W. It's cheap and readily available.
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Switch-Ethernet-Uplink-Function/dp/B075G2PM17/

It's pretty common for PTZs to need quite a bit of power. Sometimes 802.3at is enough, sometimes Hi-PoE or 802.3bt is needed

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

robilium

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to decide on a long range optical zoom Ptz camera. I mount this high on a windmill and use it to manage a vineyard by zooming in on different vines far away. Zoom and quality is most important. Night vision is nice to have. Andy has a few different high end ptz right now. This one looks new: SD5A445XA-HNR? There is also the SD8A840VI-HN. Any thoughts on the new guy?