Un-Branded NVR and Firmware Upgrade to Resolve Gmail Issue

Juventus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

First post and hope I could get some feedback.

I have done quite a bit of reading on this site - info is EXCELLENT!

I was provided a NVR by a security system dealer which is running Hikvision firmware. Firmware is 3.3.1, Build 150604. The label on the NVR says it is made by "Spidervue" - I never heard of "Spidervue". But serial number on the unit is analogous to a genuine Hikvision product: 0820150718AARR530085862WCVU.

I am trying to reinstate gmail issue as per others. When I compare specs of the NVR from the manual it appears to match the 76xx E series model (for example, incoming/outgoing bandwidth, recording resolution, hard disk capacity etc. match the 76xx E series). Hence, I have tried using US and European firmware (3.4.21 and 3.4.80) for 76xx E series models to upgrade via the NVR interface and I get "Upgrade Failed, firmware mismatches" message.

Before going further, I was wondering if I could get feedback on options to upgrade that won't brick the unit (I understand there are no guarantees) or give me Chinese menus. Also, can I upgrade directly from 3.3.1? Does one really have to upgrade in ascending order?

I also noted that TFTP software referred to in past posts does not seem to be readily available now (in the event TFTP is required to upgrade or unbrick if required).

Thanks for your time and comments!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why dont you just find another mail provider/server?

<sarcasm>
once upon a time, there used to be email addresses at locations other than gmail.com.. I believe some of them may still exist.. guess what, they can email gmail.com too, isint that cool! this internet thing is going to be sweet.
</sarcasm>

Juventus

n3wb
Reaction score
why dont you just find another mail provider/server?

<sarcasm>
once upon a time, there used to be email addresses at locations other than gmail.com.. I believe some of them may still exist.. guess what, they can email gmail.com too, isint that cool! this internet thing is going to be sweet.
</sarcasm>
Sarcasm aside, Thanks Nayr.

I tried different providers, but I can't get by the TLS vs SSL stmp encryption hurdle. I am looking at firmware upgrade options and wondering if the experience of others can help. I also wondered about whether upgrade HAS to be done in ascending order, or can one just go straight to the highest version.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
have you looked at using your ISP's mail servers? they usually provide you with an outbound mail server that will accept unsecure connections from within there own network.

seems like a lot of risk.. people brick Hikvisions left and right trying to perform updates.

Juventus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have. My ISP's outgoing server settings require encryption and those settings don't work. No way around it. After your suggestion of alternatives, I also created email accounts with yahoo.com, mail.com etc. and used their STMP settings with no success.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Before going further, I was wondering if I could get feedback on options to upgrade that won't brick the unit (I understand there are no guarantees) or give me Chinese menus. Also, can I upgrade directly from 3.3.1? Does one really have to upgrade in ascending order?
An additional risk factor here is whether the (presumed) OEM code in the NVR 'hardware descriptor' block in the flash memory will get in the way of running the regular Hikvision firmware, or whether they have been unhelpful again and created a tripwire to stop people actually trying to make best use of the hardware.
If you first ask yourself how dependant you are on the availability of your NVR - check your PM.

I also noted that TFTP software referred to in past posts does not seem to be readily available now (in the event TFTP is required to upgrade or unbrick if required).
Yes, Hikvision pulled it from their websites quite a while back. It was too helpful for people. But, it's the internet, stupid. When it's out there, it's out there. You can find a copy in the link in this first post: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

Juventus

n3wb
Reaction score
Just need to say THANKS again to get a 5th post to allow PM'ing....sorry for that.

Juventus

n3wb
Reaction score
Well....a HUUUUUGGGGGGEEEE thanks to alastairstevenson. Update via web gui and USB would not work. Used TFTP method and got it going. His advise and direction on upgrading my firmware was greatly appreciated! Awesome site!