Unable to connect laptop to Hikvision NVR 7608NI/I2/8P - previously no problems

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone would have any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong with connecting a Windows 10 laptop to a Hikvision 7608 NVR's LAN port. I've done it many times in the past, but nothing I've tried will get it to work now. I'm not sure if it's memory failure on my part or something with Internet Explorer no longer being usable and Edge in Internet Explorer mode not working?

So I've tried via the NVR LAN port using a USB C ethernet adapter on the laptop. I've set the laptop ethernet network adaptor IPV4 to match the NVR's LAN ethernet adapter address 192.168.1.64 (submask 255.255.255.0), the NVR appears to be showing sporadic data flow on the LAN port but Edge won't connect (in normal or IE mode) to 192.168.1.64. I've also tried connecting via a NVR POE camera port and using 192.168.254.xx for the adapter IPV4 address (xx being a non camera used address.) Same result, no log on screen if I try a camera IP address.

I can't see any security settings in Edge that would prevent it. I tested the ethernet adapter by plugging it into my internet connected router (with wifi off on the laptop) and I was able to browse the internet fine- so that indicates the UBC to ethernet adapter is fine. I've tried a different ethernet cable.

Any ideas/ suggestions? (Networking isn't my strong point, but this is something I've done many times in the past. I'm wondering if a Windows or laptop driver update may have changed something?)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've set the laptop ethernet network adaptor IPV4 to match the NVR's LAN ethernet adapter address 192.168.1.64 (submask 255.255.255.0),
To clarify:
  • What is the NVR's LAN IP?
  • What is your laptop's Ethernet adapter's IP?
  • How are the 2 connected? Directly or via a switch or router?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To clarify:
  • What is the NVR's LAN IP?
  • What is your laptop's Ethernet adapter's IP?
  • How are the 2 connected? Directly or via a switch or router?
NVR LAN IP is 192.168.1.64, I set the laptop adapter IP to the same when trying a direct connection between the two.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, so that's a duplicate IP address. An invalid configuration.
Suggestion : Set the laptop IP address to 192.168.1.65 and point the browser to 192.168.1.64
Thanks, it's working.

It was a combination of things by the look of it. For some reason when the USB C ethernet adapter is plugged in it comes up with 2 ethernet adapters listed in the Network settings (yet the adapter only has one and the laptop none built in)- I was changing the properties on the wrong one. (I had tried a different address previously but it was on the wrong ethernet adapter. I thought it was a bit strange using the same address, but that was what I was sure I remembered worked... :rolleyes:)

It's annoying having to hook up the laptop once in a blue moon because the NVR can't change certain camera settings.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so that's a duplicate IP address. An invalid configuration.
Suggestion : Set the laptop IP address to 192.168.1.65 and point the browser to 192.168.1.64
That's exactly where I was headed, the clue was in his post #4.
I'm glad you were able to help the OP; after my question I went to bed then up early and was away from the PC all day until late last night. :cool: