Unable to contact BlueIris Support (Solution was USE GMAIL) & Works!

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have made 2 attempts, with another this morning, and get a return email 3 days later with this note:

"support@blueirissoftware.com (while not connected): 554 5.4.7 [internal] exceeded max retries without delivery"

My problem: Unable to pan around in a zoomed window. Before upgrade to Ver 5, the cursor changed to a 'hand'
symbol after starting a zoom (-) or (+), and I was then able to pan around in the zoomed window. Now the cursor
stays as either a (-) or (+) and I can't pan. This is a much desired feature, but since I can't get any support from BI
support; can or will someone on the forum suggest a solution? I do have any window or tab that list PTZ checked
and also checked where the mouse and mouse wheel is listed. Worked before and I haven't made any changes
to the selections. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have made 2 attempts, with another this morning, and get a return email 3 days later with this note:

"support@blueirissoftware.com (while not connected): 554 5.4.7 [internal] exceeded max retries without delivery"

My problem: Unable to pan around in a zoomed window. Before upgrade to Ver 5, the cursor changed to a 'hand'
symbol after starting a zoom (-) or (+), and I was then able to pan around in the zoomed window. Now the cursor
stays as either a (-) or (+) and I can't pan. This is a much desired feature, but since I can't get any support from BI
support; can or will someone on the forum suggest a solution? I do have any window or tab that list PTZ checked
and also checked where the mouse and mouse wheel is listed. Worked before and I haven't made any changes
to the selections. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Try sending the email via gmail or you instead of using a private domain. Your issue is known, there is a thread or two about it. I dont know if the others notified support.

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, @fenderman, seeing your suggestion on another post, I did use gmail and received a response about 1 hour later. But the reply was only telling me how to send a support request....and I quote:

"If you are writing concerning an existing installation, please always use "Email support" from the Settings page in the PC software and then paste that information at the top of the body of your email for each new thread. This allows us to provide you with more efficient service by avoiding the necessity of a reply to request this information. It will also prevent Gmail from routing messages to our spam folder inadvertently.

While our goal is to respond within 24 hours, we often have an email backlog each day. Staffing and the nature of your request may add additional delay. Please refrain from replying to your own message as this sorts your message to the bottom of the queue once again.

Thanks!

The Blue Iris support team"

But that is much better than not able to actually send the email for support. Since I did get a response, they will probably look into the problem. And I'm aware of the others that have posted about this 'panning while zoomed' problem but haven't seen any solution so far. Thanks again for the 'gmail' method of asking for support!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, @fenderman, seeing your suggestion on another post, I did use gmail and received a response about 1 hour later. But the reply was only telling me how to send a support request....and I quote:

"If you are writing concerning an existing installation, please always use "Email support" from the Settings page in the PC software and then paste that information at the top of the body of your email for each new thread. This allows us to provide you with more efficient service by avoiding the necessity of a reply to request this information. It will also prevent Gmail from routing messages to our spam folder inadvertently.

While our goal is to respond within 24 hours, we often have an email backlog each day. Staffing and the nature of your request may add additional delay. Please refrain from replying to your own message as this sorts your message to the bottom of the queue once again.

Thanks!

The Blue Iris support team"

But that is much better than not able to actually send the email for support. Since I did get a response, they will probably look into the problem. And I'm aware of the others that have posted about this 'panning while zoomed' problem but haven't seen any solution so far. Thanks again for the 'gmail' method of asking for support!!!
Dont assume he will look into it. Send another email with the info requested.

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did do as the popup window requested. I did copy and paste from that window and then added my problem. Just don't understand the response received. I will wait for any reply from support with any solution and will post here if and when I receive said reply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did do as the popup window requested. I did copy and paste from that window and then added my problem. Just don't understand the response received. I will wait for any reply from support with any solution and will post here if and when I receive said reply.
Are you saying that you pasted that info the first time and you still received the message telling you to paste it?

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you saying that you pasted that info the first time and you still received the message telling you to paste it?
Actually the only time that the email was received when I used, as you suggested, gmail. Gmail sent this morning at about 10am EST and received back what I posted in the above post. YES, I used the "About" tab in 'Blue Iris Settings' window and clicked on
the window at the bottom right that says "Email support". I then copied and pasted from the clipboard all that was placed there from Blu Iris. And due to the warning from the email that support sent back, I don't really want to resend because of "refrain from replying to your own message". I will wait and give them the benefit of the doubt.

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like others attempting to email BI support, I was finally able to get a message through using my Comcast email address.

What was initially returned was an auto-response with boiler plate text. I did send my email with the requested info and got the same response with instructions on what to include in the support request.

I suspect it is done to short circuit support requests that don't contain the necessary information and gives the sender a chance to resend immediately without the frustration of waiting for a human to respond saying they need more info,

Last edited:

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like others attempting to email BI support, I was finally able to get a message through using my Comcast email address.

What was initially returned was an auto-response with boiler plate text. I did send my email with the requested info and got the same response with instructions on what to include in your support request.

I suspect it is done to short circuit support requests that don't contain the necessary information and gives the sender a chance to resend immediately without the frustration of waiting for a human to respond saying they need more info,

@griffths,

I have also sent another gmail to support and 3 days later, no response. If Support needs more info, they need to notify me so that I can send whatever info they need to help with this problem. Stated on page 46 of their .pdf:

"Digital zoom
Use the mouse wheel over a camera window to zoom in digitally (the camera lens does not
actually move). When zoomed in, the mouse cursor will become a “hand” icon and may be
used to pan around.
Use the mouse wheel again to zoom out, or you will find a Zoom out command on the
right-click menu.
The sense of the mouse wheel may be reversed using a setting on the Other page in
Settings."
This feature was used daily many times but no longer works with Ver 5 on my computer system.

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@DWilks

Changed "your support request " to "the support request" in my earlier response to clarify I was not questioning "your" approach or asking for help with a similar/same problem, only trying to add to the discussion regarding the content of the (auto)response from BI support.

My intent was simply to help subsequent readers looking for information on the email failures and who may not be as comfortable with email in general and how it works, get confused about why they are getting an apparent response for additional support information when they thought they had followed the instructions.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will have to wait your turn. If you are looking for a VMS with immediate support, I would be glad to direct you to those options. They wont cost 60 bux.

DWilks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman , It's not that I need immediate help, a reply from support that they have received my gmail and that they will look into solving the problem would shut me up while I wait.