Unable to install on Win10

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just upgraded a win 7 machine to win 10. I'm running BI on a different machine (Win 8) at this time but I'm moving it to this new win 10 machine. I downloaded a copy, but when I tried to install it, I get this error:
error.jpg

It may be a co-incidence but it locked up the machine and when I re-booted, it took over a minute to start up again. It has an SSD and usually boots in about 10 secs.

I attached a pic of the error .

Any ideas? This is my first windows 10 machine.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to download Microsoft visual c++ 2013 library files, get both the x86 and x64 versions and install them both. Should resolve the issue you are seeing.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This problem I believe is something new. I have had to do this 2 times now recently on a Blue Iris machine build. I have never had to do this in the previous 15+ BI system builds i've done with a fresh OS installed.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Must be a new feature introduced recently that requires these library files or it was always needed and included with the installer but for some reason no longer is bundled with the installer.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This was a Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade. That might be the reason.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I meant I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and then installed BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and then installed BI.
To clarify after you upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 with an In-Place upgrade you should perform a clean windows 10 installation using the Microsoft media creation tool. The in place upgrade will cause issues down the road.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you mean by "in place upgrade"? I used the Media Creation Tool to upgrade from 7 to 10. I used 10 for a couple of days to see how well it performed then downloaded BI and installed it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "in place upgrade"? I used the Media Creation Tool to upgrade from 7 to 10. I used 10 for a couple of days to see how well it performed then downloaded BI and installed it.
if you didnt do a clean install, but installed 10 over 7 its an in place upgrade which can also be done with the media creation tool. This is not a good idea. You needed to do it initially to maintain the license, however, now is the time to boot from the media creation tool, delete all partitions and perform a clean install of windows.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh. So I need to download the ISO and create a DVD and re-install win 10 OVER win 10? I really appreciate the help here. This place is a fount of knowledge!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh. So I need to download the ISO and create a DVD and re-install win 10 OVER win 10? I really appreciate the help here. This place is a fount of knowledge!
Precisely. But you don't need to download the ISO.. you can download the media creation tool and it will create a bootable USB.. then just tell the PC to boot from the USB. If you have an SSD for the operating system and blue iris as well as the blue iris database that would be ideal.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK...you lost me. I downloaded the demo version of BI with the intention of setting it up and then buying a license. Win10 and BI are both loaded on the SSD. What's the BI database? Sorry to ask so many questions.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Precisely. But you don't need to download the ISO.. you can download the media creation tool and it will create a bootable USB.. then just tell the PC to boot from the USB. If you have an SSD for the operating system and blue iris as well as the blue iris database that would be ideal.
Thanks. I'm updating my whole system. I've been using Foscam cameras and a couple have crapped out and I'll be buying something more reliable. I'm also going to buy the latest BI so am just going to start from scratch. I'll do a clean install of Win10. and load BI. Thanks again for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm updating my whole system. I've been using Foscam cameras and a couple have crapped out and I'll be buying something more reliable. I'm also going to buy the latest BI so am just going to start from scratch. I'll do a clean install of Win10. and load BI. Thanks again for your help!
If you already have a blue iris 4 license you don't have to buy it again. You can install the latest update from the website. However Blue Iris 5 will be out in June and if you buy a new copy of blue iris 4 now you will be eligible for a free upgrade come June.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you already have a blue iris 4 license you don't have to buy it again. You can install the latest update from the website. However Blue Iris 5 will be out in June and if you buy a new copy of blue iris 4 now you will be eligible for a free upgrade come June.
Good to know. I'd like to keep my current v4 up until I get the new one in place. Looks like it's on sale now for $50. Can't beat the price, especially with a free upgrade in June. Thanks again for all your help. Now...off to buy some new cameras. Also, I'm currently using an open port to get thru from outside the house. From posts here, that sounds like a bad idea. I'm looking into a VPN. Probably OpenVPN.