Unable to open MP4 files.

doobam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, Currently on BI V5.3.2.11. Recently I have been having trouble viewing most of the saved mp4 files either in BI or directly off the hard drive. If i try to open the video within BI (from the preview panel on the left side of the interface) I get the message "this type of file may not be viewed while open for recording". Most of the videos listed there have a red border around them like they are recording. BI continues to write new mp4's as the cameras are triggered but they all seem to remain in a recording state. What I do not understand is why this is happening to all of the videos. Since this afternoon there are 19 videos in the folder with only one viewable. The cameras are set to record MPEG-4 (MP4) and Direct-to-disc. Any help would be appreciated. thank-you

doobam

n3wb
Reaction score
Under "camera settings" => "record" tab => "Video file format and compression" button, change radio button from MP4 to "Blue Iris DVR (BVR, allows reading while writing)"
Thank you, I will try that. Do you know if this is a bug or maybe happens under certain circumstances? When I switched BI to a different computer I downloaded the newer version, with the copywrite across the display, then decided to go back to an earlier version to get rid of that. It was around this time this problem cropped up. I've been using BI for several years. Also, will traditional media players play BVR files?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, I will try that. Do you know if this is a bug or maybe happens under certain circumstances? When I switched BI to a different computer I downloaded the newer version, with the copywrite across the display, then decided to go back to an earlier version to get rid of that. It was around this time this problem cropped up. I've been using BI for several years. Also, will traditional media players play BVR files?
I don't know about a bug...I've installed BI on about a dozen computers since 2014, versions 3,4 and 5, updated several of them since and never had to even touch that setting...the default has always been on BVR.

Only BI can play BVR files, although there is was a desktop player available, IIRC.

EDIT: There was a desktop player at one time but I cannot locate it any more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a bug. MP4 files by design cannot be viewed while they are being created/written to. This is why you should be recording to BVR.

doobam

n3wb
Reaction score
This is not a bug. MP4 files by design cannot be viewed while they are being created/written to. This is why you should be recording to BVR.
The issue is all of the files in the preview panel and on the hard drive seem to be in a recording state even as BI is making new videos. I don't believe the video files are being finalized, I just don't know why. The video files saved on the hard drive cannot be viewed either. Saving to mp4 worked fine for about 4 years before i switched computers this week and did the upgrade/downgrade. Maybe I should re-install BI to see if that clears anything up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The issue is all of the files in the preview panel and on the hard drive seem to be in a recording state even as BI is making new videos. I don't believe the video files are being finalized, I just don't know why. The video files saved on the hard drive cannot be viewed either. Saving to mp4 worked fine for about 4 years before i switched computers this week and did the upgrade/downgrade. Maybe I should re-install BI to see if that clears anything up.
The mp4 video file is only closed after the combine cut criteria are met. Reinstalling will not solve that. If you shorten the combine and cut. Period Or size You will end up with a bunch of small files use BVR.