Unable to set DS-2CD2032-I to record to WHS 2011 server

dar124

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera and have a couple questions as I'm going thru the iVMS-4200 software setting things up. I got the camera installed on the back of my house and after a bit of configuring I am able to view the camera via the iVMS-4200 program, the Hikvision web app and also remotely on my phone with the iVMS-4500 app. But now I'm trying to set the camera up to record down to my WHS 2011 server. I tried to just go thru the settings and configure the camera, but I didnt have much luck. So I did a little googling and came across this link - http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1729 I can get part of the way thru these instructions, but am unable to get the HD (share that I set up on my server) to show it's status as "Normal", it always shows as "Offline" in the iVMS-4200 program. But can navigate to that share from my PC without any issues. Also when I try to Format the HD I get the below error.

I can also send over any other screen shots necessary. After a bit of reading, it seems there might be some issue with NFS and WHS 2011?? But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Presumably you are using SMB/CIFS with a camera-specific username/passwd.
How did you configure the NetHDD path in the camera? eg /sharename
Did the 'Test' button in the camera web GUI show an error?

dar124

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, I am using the SMB/CIFS option with the username & password for the camera. On another thread someone gave me instructions for adding NFS shares to WHS, so I have done that and set up the folder that I'm trying to record to with NFS sharing. I then also tried the NFS option, but no luck.

The folder on my WHS server that I'm trying to save to is located at \\Filesever1\Security Camera.

It’s almost like the iVMS-4200 software has too many options. I feel like I’m partially setting up the camera in one section and then partially setting up another part in another section.

I’m going to the “Device Management” tab across the top, then the Group tab, Remote Configuration, Storage and then NAS. I’m entering info on that screen. Should the “server IP address” be my internal server IP address, like192.168.XX.XXX?? Or should it be the external IP address that I use to RDP to my server?? I’m using the 192.168.XX.XXX address, but just making sure. I then entered the “\\Filesever1\Security Camera”path. Seletected SMB/CIFS and put in mycamera username and password and save it. When I test I get a “Mounting to NAS server failed. Invalid directory or incorrect user name / password”.

I have also gone to the “Device Management” tab, then the Server tab. I then select Storage Server in the left column and tried to “Add Device”in the top section. This brings up a popup where “IP / Domain” is selected and then I have to add the Nickname, Address, Port 8000 is already filled in, User Name and Password. I would think this is all info for the server?? It adds in there, but then the “Addto Client” button stays greyed out below, so I’m unable to add it.

Again, seems like I’m missing or skipping 1 or 2 steps along the way.
Hopefully it is just a few simple things that I’m missing. I’ve posted a couple screen shots below. I can post additional ones if necessary.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The folder on my WHS server that I'm trying to save to is located at \\Filesever1\Security Camera.
How did you configure the NetHDD path in the camera? eg /sharename
I believe you need to use the sharename as opposed to a folder tree as the path to the NetHDD, just as above. Unless newer firmware has extended that original limitation.
The server IP address should be your WHS server IP address.

dar124

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, changing from the full path to just the share name worked!!! I was able to add the HD.

Now I'm getting the below error when I try to format the HD (which is actually the WHS share). So it's still showing up as "Unformatted".

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's a step along the way!
The next problem is likely to be due to the size of the shared volume.
For older camera firmware, say 5.2.5 or lower, the maximum volume size is around 200GB.
If your WHS server has user quotas enabled, it may be worth trying to impose a ceiling on the user the camera is assigned.
Or if it can actually limit the volume size of the share that is worth trying also.

I think this is all down to the slightly thoughtless design of how the NetHDD operates in the cameras.
The 'format' fills the entire volume with a set of placeholder files, folders and indexes, then writes the videos and snapshots into these.
Above a certain size - something breaks. Whether it's too many files, or index content I don't know.