Unboxed my Amcrest 15 min ago and already having issues

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I finally bought my set of Amcrest PoE cameras and am currently sitting at my desk trying to test it. Just playing with 1 for now to get a feel of how it all works.

I have plugged it into the NVR using an Ethernet cable, connected the NVR to my modem, didn't do much custom setting as I went through the initial installation stage and now I have that camera live showing in one of the screens. Now, I wanted to give it a try and see how it looks on the phone so I downloaded the Amcrest View Pro and followed the steps as described in this official Amcrest video:
However, after I enter the S/N of the camera and click connect, it spins for a couple of secs and says Failed to Connect. I'm sure many of you have gone through it already so I was hoping to get some pointers here.. Also, if there is a manual as to how to customize the network settings in the NVR in the most secure way, I'd certainly appreciate it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That video was for a camera without an NVR.

Your NVR blocks the cameras from the internet so that is why it cannot connect. It is the NVR that is seen by the app, which in turn allows you to see the cameras. That is what you need to connect to in the app.

We would be remiss if we were to mention that your system is exposed to the internet, but that is for another day.

Reaction score
That video was for a camera without an NVR.

Your NVR blocks the cameras from the internet so that is why it cannot connect. It is the NVR that is seen by the app, which in turn allows you to see the cameras. That is what you need to connect to in the app.

We would be remiss if we were to mention that your system is exposed to the internet, but that is for another day.
Ohh that makes sense, I didn't even think about. Now I am connected using the ip address. So I guess now the most logical question is : how do I protect my network from bad actors? Although I don't plan on installing any cameras indoor, I wouldn't want anyone to get on my network and watch the cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They aren't interested in your cameras, they are interested in using your internet for BOT and DDoS attacks.

It is ironic that security cameras are not very secure. They are hacked all the time and rarely do vendors update the devices for security vulnerabilities.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras and NVRs are notorious for security flaws that rarely, if ever get corrected. Its not so much people watching your cameras, it's hackers taking control of them for use in botnets used for Ddos attacks Your ISP might find that a little disturbing. Just today, there was a post in a thread here on IPCT that seems to indicate cameras being hacked and passwords being changed. Don't take the security of your own network lightly.

Secure Network

VPN Primer

Reaction score
Hello There, please feel free to email us back at escalation@amcrest.com. Here you will be assigned to an Escalation Team Member to help possibly resolve your issues. Amcrest Team
It's all good, the kind people here have helped me already. An off-topic question for you, will I be able to add an amcrest doorbell to my Amcrest View Pro app so I can view the PoE cameras and the doorbell feed in the same app?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Its got its own App. Amcrest Smart Home. Thats only way i've been able to view it anyway, without being some kind of lowgrade hacker/coder.....
Some of these guys could probably find a way.....but not Joe 5 PAck....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its got its own App. Amcrest Smart Home. Thats only way i've been able to view it anyway, without being some kind of lowgrade hacker/coder.....
Some of these guys could probably find away.....but not Joe 5 PAck....
oh no.. then I might hold off on buying their doorbell camera. Are there any solid doorbell cameras in the market that I could get to work in a single app on the phone?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
will I be able to add an amcrest doorbell to my Amcrest View Pro app so I can view the PoE cameras and the doorbell feed in the same app?
Yes - you can! In addition to doorbell live view, 2-way talk is also supported in AVP. It should also support motion detection push notifications but I haven't set that up since I'm receiving those notifications via Home Assistant and Telegram with images.

There are things you must use the Amcrest SmartHome app for, such as initial setup. There are a few minor configurations that are unique to doorbells that must be done with the SH app that AVP can't, like quick response messaging, At this time, I don't know if AVP can monitor doorbell button presses, as again, I'm using HASS for that.

AVP also enables a lot of additional configurations that SH can't, but be aware - the doorbell firmware isn't fully in lockstep with what AVP expects of normal Amcrest cameras and things can get messed up when tinkering with the video settings.

Reaction score
not the end of the world. easy enough to pull up quickly. Although Blue iris can show them all together because Its the Shit man. :)
View attachment 122093
I'll get there! As much as I'd love to start using BI already, I think I need to get my knowledge straight about what I already have so I don't get confused moving forward. I really appreciate you all for your help!
Yes - you can! In addition to doorbell live view, 2-way talk is also supported in AVP. It should also support motion detection push notifications but I haven't set that up since I'm receiving those notifications via Home Assistant and Telegram with images.

There are things you must use the Amcrest SmartHome app for, such as initial setup. There are a few minor configurations that are unique to doorbells that must be done with the SH app that AVP can't, like quick response messaging, At this time, I don't know if AVP can monitor doorbell button presses, as again, I'm using HASS for that.

AVP also enables a lot of additional configurations that SH can't, but be aware - the doorbell firmware isn't fully in lockstep with what AVP expects of normal Amcrest cameras and things can get messed up when tinkering with the video settings.
wait, how did you get it to send you images via Telegram? I'd love that too!

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using Home Assistant with the Amcrest (or Dahua) integration to trigger on any doorbell or camera event, including button press. This trigger initiates a recording locally to an SSD drive of both an mp4 and jpg snapshot. HASS can then use a variety of push messaging apps, such as Telegram (or HA Companion, PushBullet) to include the image and/or recording. So that the message is sent the quickest, I only send a snapshot which includes a url back to the recording, which may still be in progress.

If you're not already using Home Assistant, the learning curve for BI is much flatter if all you are after is surveillance. Home Assistant is in no way an alternative to a complete surveillance system. But for integrating home automation and security systems, the capabilities are endless and ever expanding with a huge community.

Reaction score
welp.. I just ran into a very disappointing issue. I accidentally changed the resolution in the NVR settings to the highest and now my screens are black and I don't have a 4K TV to connect the NVR to to switch it back. Apparently my model doesn't have a factory reset button either (I just looked at the motherboard) , which makes it even more disappointing. Anyone know how I can reset it back to normal? I don't have a VGA cable handy

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can go to a web browser and type in the IP address of the NVR and log in to it that way and then change the resolution back