Unboxed my Amcrest 15 min ago and already having issues

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It may not be obvious and you may have to disconnect it and hit refresh and see which one disappeared.

Or maybe you are lucky and your IP address is 192.168.1.xxx so then the NVR would be 192.168.1.108 most likely.

Reaction score
Yeah, apparently it's not online. I guess I may need to run to bestbuy tomorrow and get a VGA cable and pray it works. I've seen some threads where it didn't work for some people

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try who is on my wifi app on your phone - that one is usually pretty decent at picking up what is what. It probably won't show Amcrest, but may show Shenzhen and that would be it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If its a new set up, the IP address could the default, 192.168.1.108
Everybody who sets up an NVR should make a written note of the physical address of the device. And put a "Post it" note or something to the device. right away.
Or should know how to look up the connected devices on thier router.
Almost all modern routers will be able to list connected devices, by MAC or IP or both.

Reaction score
Another option:
Run the Amcrest IP Config tool on your Windows PC and it should tell you the NVR IP address, etc., if the NVR is working and connected to your LAN. If NVR is not working, try a unplug/replug power to reboot it.

This worked like a charm! Guys, you all here are a treasure chest of knowledge! Really appreciate all of your help.

So my next step is to install the cameras outside. What's the consensus on where to set up the NVR in the house? The internet box with all the wires is upstairs in the laundry room, so that's one option (probably buy a cheap screen and set up a mini station there). Also there is an option of doing it in my office downstairs. Some people apparently connect the whole thing to their TVs in the living room. Are there any things to keep in mind while choosing the location?

Also, since the cameras are outside, how do I choose a proper floodlight so it doesn't interfere with the image? I read that while having your house well illuminated at night as a deterrent is a thing, light pollution can also be damaging to what you see in the screen (too bright).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may find it is easier to navigate the system by logging into it via a computer, in which case you put the NVR anywhere. Put it where it makes the wiring the easiest.

Once you get the cameras off of default/auto settings and dial them in to your field of view, in most instances the image won't be too bright. Light is a good thing unless you have the cameras pointed directly at them or close enough to them that you get glare.

Ideally you should have the lights up first and then temp install the cams and run it day and night to see the optimal location that is not impacted by the lights.