Unifi Dream Machine

Covert One

n3wb
Reaction score
Just saw this as it appears to be a new product from Ubiquiti. I am curious if anyone has this device and can comment. It appears as a moderately inexpensive way to begin an Unifi eco system for home given the integration of devices in the unit.

Holbs

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ditched my Asus x10 nighthawk gaming router for a UDM 2 months ago. Finally, multiple VLANS! Very happy with the UDM for my at home purposes.

Holbs

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One really nice thing is the ease of setting up VLAN's. I feared having to really dig down and learn VLAN's when I have other matters going on in life that need addressing rather than learning too much tech stuff. Luckily, setting up VLAN's is a 30 second thing on the UDM

Railgun

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a bit of a Unifi ecosystem; a USG-3, six switches, and six access point with a dedicated controller on a VM. I would like this product because the performance is considerably better than the current USG I have. However, you can’t add this to an existing controller. It has a built-in controller only. Which I don’t want.

It’s a bit of a shame really, because UBNT is kind of a mess with their product offerings at the moment.

Holbs

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct. This UDM is more for small business / home use router. Serves my purposes perfectly :) IPS, firewall, VLAN's, easily manage Ubiquiti switch, etc.
Wouldn't purchase for an enterprise system though.
My last router was a $300+ ASUS X10 Nighthawk. The signal strength of WiFi of both bands were perfect for my 1200 sq ft home. But super lacking in lots of other areas (no vlans for example). Though, simple to setup OpenVPN

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Correct. This UDM is more for small business / home use router. Serves my purposes perfectly :) IPS, firewall, VLAN's, easily manage Ubiquiti switch, etc.
Wouldn't purchase for an enterprise system though.
My last router was a $300+ ASUS X10 Nighthawk. The signal strength of WiFi of both bands were perfect for my 1200 sq ft home. But super lacking in lots of other areas (no vlans for example). Though, simple to setup OpenVPN
does the UDM support OpenVPN in the GUI? The USG does not in the GUI.