UniFi Routers - throughput speeds

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I've already got myself (ordered, to be delivered) a UniFi 48 port POE switch, primarily to power a dozen or so cameras and 5 UniFi wireless access points. It is my preference to stay with UniFi, so will be purchasing a cloud-key and router. Having read and re-read the specs of the UniFi routers, USG, USG Pro and Dream machine pro I'm now confused regarding the speed ratings or throughput speeds if activating their Intrusion Detection System (IDS) and/or Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) as it relates to my circumstances. The following image is from this page:
2020-06-03_7-23-28-UniFi-Throughput.jpg

From a cost point of view, I justified the UniFi Dream Machine Pro as it includes the cloud key or controller software and is rack-mountable. It's not that much more of a cost if purchasing the USG Pro + Cloud Key.

Anyway, to my circumstances. When I move into my new house, I'll have fibre to the premises but the max download is 100 Mbps and upload is 5 Mbps (true). For the throughput speeds as listed in the above image, I'm assuming that's based on the assumption of max download available. In the case of the Dream Machine Pro, if I have a 100 Mbps connection the figures listed above are just pie in the sky, would the throughput be similar to that as listed by the USG at 85 Mbps. Speaking of the USG throughput at 85 Mbps, isn't that a massive drop from the potential 1000 Mbps true connection speed?

Here in Australia, I'm now starting to see some companies offer 250 to 1000 Mbps speeds, at a premium cost, but that is all controlled by our federally-owned NBN. I can see that in the not-so-distant future I should be on faster internet plans and that is why I've not considered the USG at 85 Mbps.

ps.
<rant>For those in Australia, my estate that I'm moving to is not under the NBN but is known as Telstra Smart Communities. NBN will take control of these type of communities last, the rationale being that we already have Fibre to the premises. Telstra though has no interest in improving the service, it's a joke. </rant>

phroenips

n3wb
Reaction score
Those speeds are only if you have IDS/IPS enabled. I have a USG (non Pro), with gigabit fiber Internet. I can get 900Mbit+

Reaction score
I turn on IDS/IPS just because, in my UDM router, I like the added security (even thought I am a nOOb at it all). My Charter pipeline is 100down/12up. Bandwidth testers show 89down/11up. For the fiber to home folks who enjoy the gigabit, I read that with IDS/IPS on, they are getting around 700-800 down. I do not host 50 concurrent ZOOM video conferencing, so I am pleased with that :)

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Never used IPS at all. Have a USG going on 4 years now.

I wouldn’t worry with it.

Reaction score
I don’t turn on IDS/IPS on my USG 3 but I do have a VPN from our iDevices to home LAN so no open ports.

Spectrum here is 400/20 and I regularly get more than 400 down when speed testing.

3D8BD21E-EDAA-4130-95C8-1EB756B77E3B.jpeg

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do a search on pros/cons of an IDS/IPS to decide if it's worth it for you. It adds another layer of security. Most US government facilities are required to have both a firewall and IDS/IPS. As a home user, you may think it's overkill. It basically inspects your traffic and compares it to a malware signature database. Note: there are a number of free IDS/IPS out there (most popular I believe are Snort and Suricata). I run a suricata based IDS at home.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I pay for 100 down 10 up. With my Ubiquiti system (including USG) this is what speedtest.net just gave me - with IPS enabled:

1591219197609.png

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not going to worry about IDS/IPS feature or non-feature be a factor in my router purchase decision. I will test it though when the time comes purely for curiosity purposes.