Unknown hard drive display issue.

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
I just added another HD to my rig and the hard drive info now shows the following.

How can I fix this to show the proper info like it showed prior to the addition of the third HD?

Thanks.

Attachments

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that tab. The closest thing I can come to is "clips and archiving" in settings, but I see nothing in there that says "status popup". So I don't know where to find all the hard drives to display.

Reaction score
It's not specifically called "status popup". It is a popup window that comes up when you click on the icon for status. That is the uptrending arrow graph to the left of the ? at the top left of the BI display. Like below

1595472686582.png

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
Crazy, I was in that very window earlier today just browsing and never noticed those tabs. Anyway, figured it out. Turns out I allocated too much space to the hard drive when automatically moving files to folders. Forgot, just because the HD says it's 2TB, doesn't mean it's actually 2TB.

Thanks for the help.

No No

n3wb
Reaction score
I do it as a "Just in case" situation because I really don't look at the footage everyday or remember to go back and protect something in time. I know I can raid the system so the space as a whole will last longer so I don't have to move things over, but I just can't be bothered with that. This is simple to me, and it's there. What else is it there for?

Reaction score
I record continuous 24/7 and do alerts on about 2/3 of my cams. My current install is 18 cams and I have three 10TB WD purple drives for the 'New' recordings, seven cams each to the first two drives and 4 cams on the third. There are five more waiting to be installed when I get the time to run the cables. I have 'Alerts' and other snapshots going to an SSD.

When I first started with BI, I had fewer cams and only one 10TB drive for 'New' recordings and two 4TB Blue drives for 'Stored'. I had BI set up to move files from 'New' to 'Stored' when space was needed. But I quickly noticed that BI was constantly moving files from New to Stored and that read/write was constantly hogging system resources. And I never looked at those files on Stored.

After reading up about the pros and cons here in this forum, I decided to pull the two 4TB drives used for 'Stored' and install two more 10TB Purple drives and set it up the way I have it now. I get about 32 days of storage currently. Once the remaining cams are installed, it will be about 24 days of storage. That is more than enough for me. When BI needs space on New, it deletes files. Delete takes seconds rather than constant moving of files.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.