unmanaged switch.

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings, I need help. I have an 8 port Poe switch and an eight camera system. The switch is managed (great deal) and has no uplink port but a console port and a combo port. How to get to router/pc if i use all the Poe ports for cameras? Or should I only use say four cameras in switch and 4 in nvr giving four in switch individual ip's for viewing. Thanks.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just use one of the non-PoE ports (if any) as your uplink.

What's the model of the switch?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or should I only use say four cameras in switch and 4 in nvr giving four in switch individual ip's for viewing.
That's what I do.
Not because I don't have enough ports on my switch but because some of my cameras can't send alerts if they're connected directly to the NVR so I plug them into the switch and send the alerts directly from the cameras.

Edit: I should add that the cameras plugged into the switch are still connected to the NVR and can be viewed via the NVR or via direct IP address

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can do 4 and 4 if you go thru the right steps and realize you'll have 4 addresses in the 10.x.x.x range and 4 addresses in the 192.168.x.x range.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s an Allworx Poe switch I picked up almost new for 45 bucks on EBay.
It would help to have the ACTUAL MODEL.

A quick google turn up the Allworx G810 which has:
  • 8 PoE+ ports with a total power budget of 130W
  • 1 Console port
  • 2 "combo ports", which is a not something I recall seeing before, but it appears on these you can either use the built in ethernet or plug in an SFP adapter (not both) for each "combo port". Use one of these are your uplink.

Here's a manual
This switch is from 2013, it ain't almost new...

1713042477111.png

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
Noted, but for $45 bucks, I was willing to try it.. My problem now is trying to find three of the cameras all of which are still in NVR. Bought switch to try and lighten load since system I have is 3 years old.

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
"Use one of these are your uplink. "
Are You saying I can use the combo ethernet port to connect switch to pc or router?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2 "combo ports", which is a not something I recall seeing before, but it appears on these you can either use the built in ethernet or plug in an SFP adapter (not both) for each "combo port". Use one of these are your uplink.
This sort of thing is incredibly common.

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, but it's not recognized by router. I tried this a couple days ago and again today, same thing. The only way it's seen is if i plug into one of the Poe ports of the switch.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, but it's not recognized by router. I tried this a couple days ago and again today, same thing. The only way it's seen is if i plug into one of the Poe ports of the switch.
Read the switch manual and acquaint yourself with some networking basics.

It's unclear what cameras / nvr you have or how you have them connected. Maybe start by explaining that in detail, making a diagram.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This sort of thing is incredibly common.
Apparently I'm just loosing my mind, thanks the the street racers that kept me awake much of the night. I have seen these before, they're just usually better marked. I also haven't really done networking professionally in quite a while.

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Zosi 8 cam 5mp sys. w/Poe nvr. I have the Ethernet ftg. on nvr going to port on TPLink router. I have hdmi port of of NVR going to monitor. I am using ATT gateway bgw 210 which I have in DHCP not pass thru because when i tried putting in pass thru, things started to freeze up. All cameras are plugged into NVR and after I downloaded ZOSI search tool and hit reset and search, three cameras vanished from screen and now I have network disconnected where those cameras were.. I have now had switch and ethernet combo port connectd for a few minutes and no sign of router seeing it even though the Poe lights on switch are blinking. Thank you for taking the time.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, but it's not recognized by router
What exactly are you expecting to see occur?
What does "recognised by router" mean in your mind?
Because a switch will not be recognised by a router unless it has been configured in a certain way and while I'm pretty sure your switch is a managed switch you don't seem to have configured it so it will just act like a regular switch.
In other words it is essentially invisible to the router.

Do you have anything plugged into the switch?
What happens if you plug the NVR lan port into one of the ports on the switch?
Can you still reach it?