Unsupported video stream

Reaction score
hi guys,

So I have 7 DS-2CD3345-I cameras and DS-7608NI-E2 NVR.

Whenever I set my main stream and sub stream to h.265 I keep getting the black screen with unsupported stream error. However, if I switch back to h.264, it works fine.

I know for sure my camera is capable of h.265 so I’m wondering if there anything additional I have to configure. Thanks

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't believe the DS-7608NI-E2 supports h.265 out-the-box. Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the NVR?

Reaction score
I don't believe the DS-7608NI-E2 supports h.265 out-the-box. Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the NVR?
I have not. I was scared to upgrade it because I bought it from AliExpress. I know ya cameras are 100% Chinese language and converted to English and the seller even said don’t upgrade firmware. But for the nvr, he said I can upgrade no problem and even in the ad posting, it said the firmware can be upgraded. I wasn’t just scared to do it. Please see picture for the nvr description. It fully says I can upgrade.. I guess I’ll take my chance.. how do I know if the nvr is capable of doing h.265? Can I check it somewhere?

Attachments

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your NVR serial number has a CH around the position highlighted below I'd advise against firmware updates. There is a risk of bricking the device. I can't say for sure the newer firmware would enable h265 anyway.
upload_2019-7-26_17-5-49.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Presumably this is on the VGA/HDMI interface?
That nvr doesn't support h.265 on that interface.
But it should work ok on the web GUI where webcomponents is doing the rendering.

Reaction score
Honestly, I have two 4TB HDD and it’s more than enough space to record all 8 cameras for 3 weeks. I think I’ll lesve things as it is and not worry about h.265 compression. H.264 it is for now