Upcoming Nest Hello doorbell camera

helraiser

n3wb
Reaction score
Just wondering if the BI team has been able to get ahold of a Nest Hello doorbell cam. It's going to be wifi and hardwired but the specs don't indicate what type of protocols it'll support.

I'm looking at getting one but yeah, would rather avoid their dumb subscription model. Any insight?

https://store.nest.com/ca/product/nest-hello/NC5100EF

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if the BI team has been able to get ahold of a Nest Hello doorbell cam. It's going to be wifi and hardwired but the specs don't indicate what type of protocols it'll support.

I'm looking at getting one but yeah, would rather avoid their dumb subscription model. Any insight?

https://store.nest.com/ca/product/nest-hello/NC5100EF
It's almost certainly designed to only talk to their servers and provide no local access of any kind for software like BlueIris.

helraiser

n3wb
Reaction score
It's almost certainly designed to only talk to their servers and provide no local access of any kind for software like BlueIris.
Thanks. I was hoping it was based on the other Nest cameras taht BI supports and was hoping this would be too. Guess I'll play the wait and see.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping it was based on the other Nest cameras taht BI supports and was hoping this would be too. Guess I'll play the wait and see.
That still has to go to their server and then back to you. Lots of posts with problems.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I installed a Ring 2 for a client back in June. He had superfast Wi-Fi with plenty of signal strength but it did not matter: the Ring 2 uploaded to their server then back down so in order to view anything on the iPhone app you had to go through that process. Didn't matter if you were standing a foot from his fast, strong wireless router there was a 5-8 second delay, sometimes it would time out, jump frames, not detect, etc. Just not usable at all. Because of his rural location his AT&T DSL was 3.0M down and .5M up and Ring said they recommended a minimum of 4.0 M down AND (get this)...4.0M UP. Not gonna happen out here in the boonies. None of that is mentioned in the specs, info, etc. in any of the ads.
Of course, good 'ol amazon took it back.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then what is a good alternative where you can use BI without this lag?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then what is a good alternative where you can use BI without this lag?
If you haven't seen the threads already, do a quick forum search for "doorbell". There are at least two big threads for doorbells like the one @TonyR posted above. Some folks have minimal problems getting them to work, others aren't having such good luck.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't seen the threads already, do a quick forum search for "doorbell". There are at least two big threads for doorbells like the one @TonyR posted above. Some folks have minimal problems getting them to work, others aren't having such good luck.
An ONVIF compatible doorbell cam such as this one ==>> here.
Yes, I have seen them all but they seem to be too new and too buggy to actually purchase yet, many are doing pre-order of their doorbell, they should have seen this coming in 2013 when the ring was on TV and start to realize people wanted this, not sure how they missed this so badly but they did.

At the end, there is only a small group of people that want to do this setup and take the time to download and setup Bi.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen them all but they seem to be too new and too buggy to actually purchase yet, many are doing pre-order of their doorbell, they should have seen this coming in 2013 when the ring was on TV and start to realize people wanted this, not sure how they missed this so badly but they did.

At the end, there is only a small group of people that want to do this setup and take the time to download and setup Bi.
Hi TL1096r,

Hikvision and Dahua have had a number of door intercom camera systems, as have others FAR longer than the history of Ring.
Hikvision and Dahua business models have not been to sell directly to the end user.

Thus it really is not truly a situation: "..not sure how they missed this so badly but they did."

Remember their ( Hikvision and Dahua ) business model is not a cloud service provider - which is what Ring and Nest really are.

The business model of Ring and Nest are completely depending on you to pay significant money to purchase the camera - then after you've paid for that, to charge you regular service charges.

For me personally, I do not like the idea of leasing a car - on the long term it is more cost effective for me to actually own my car.
Same I feel about security cameras - I'd rather own it, than lease it.

Yes, a large number of consumers are happy today to jump on the easier to setup solutions which lock down the products they "buy" and force them into service contracts ( recurring revenue for the companies selling ) to get full functionality. Unfortunately many people who do not know better will be paying significantly more in the end when they could have installed a better system from the start.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they should have seen this coming in 2013 when the ring was on TV and start to realize people wanted this,
Ring's biggest challenge remains convincing people to buy a $200+ doorbell. For at least the first 2 years ring was on the market their product was an absolutely unreliable turd. It was a product people wanted to like but struggled to. Plenty of people doubted if the company would survive and if people really wanted doorbell intercoms.

The Hikvision doorbell, ships with a microsd card so it's pretty easy for someone to just hook it up and use the app without anything else doing the recording.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200, I do know all of this but it is not what I meant, what I meant is not marketing it to the public, sorry for the confusion in my words.

I feel if they stepped up and brought it the public and dealt with stupid people like myself to set it up and say "no monthly cloud fees" and maybe create their own software it would be best.

My question is how do you setup the doorbell where you are able to use it like the ring, talking back to people, alarm on an app? Does it come with it or do you need to rig it to the BI setup? That is the issue and all I mean, I feel they made it to unattainable to the public, it is like a car that is ready to drive out of the box vs a car you have to tinker with to drive, which would people buy? Just a rant but what I meant, for idiotic gen pop.

helraiser

n3wb
Reaction score
So I got the Nest Hello door bell after all. I tried the youtube "hack" which basically sends stills. Got tired of it after a few days. I came back here to see how others had got the other Nest cams working and boom! We're in business. I increased the receive buffer to 32MB (64GB rig with lots of ram to spare and if necessary, will bump it to 128GB) and we have ~0.5s delay in the stream. Score!

I'll keep using the app for the facial recognition and other stuff I can get out of it beyond the trial period, but BI FTW!

Thanks everyone in this thread and other forums for the help, and BI for delivering a solid product. Can't wait till the next maj rel.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ended up going with La View. Does anyone know how to get that setup to BI? I use their app.

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I got the Nest Hello door bell after all. I tried the youtube "hack" which basically sends stills. Got tired of it after a few days. I came back here to see how others had got the other Nest cams working and boom! We're in business. I increased the receive buffer to 32MB (64GB rig with lots of ram to spare and if necessary, will bump it to 128GB) and we have ~0.5s delay in the stream. Score!

I'll keep using the app for the facial recognition and other stuff I can get out of it beyond the trial period, but BI FTW!

Thanks everyone in this thread and other forums for the help, and BI for delivering a solid product. Can't wait till the next maj rel.
can you post details on how you got it working with BI?

Reaction score

Can you give a step by step on how to do this?