Updating from V5.3.3 build 150630 on DS-2CD2142FWD-IS

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd like to attempt updating the firmware on my Hik cameras. Have a couple that I can experiment with as I will likely replace them with better low light capable cameras in any event if I brick them.

Plus, would be nice to get off the vulnerable camera firmware before the hack becomes widely available, even if I am no longer port forwarding and behind a VPN. Still having some issues with that in any event.

Had a couple questions:

1. Is there a way to confirm my cameras are not "chinese" cameras? Pretty sure they were International, but I did buy them over AliExpress.

2. How do I know which file to update them with? Are there specific firmwares only applicable to specific cameras? E.g. only certain firmware that would be compatible with the 2142FWD?

3. Is this the guide to use? Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware Seems to speak of "creating your own firmware" which I'm not sure I get?

4. My Hik 7616 is on V3.4.0 build 150929, should I also be updating that along with camera firmware?

Thx

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the serial number of one of the cameras?

Somewhere on here is a post that shows the breakdown of the serial number and how to tell if it is Chinese or not.

I bought all mine from aliexpress, but the seller states they are upgradeable and they have been.

Yes the files are specific, NO that guide is for a more detailed process for something else :)

I also did my NVR as well

2142 DOWNLOAD PORTAL

NVR model needed but, DOWNLOAD PORTAL

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
S/N of one of the cams is ... DS-2CD2142FWD-IS20150909BBWR541176085

NVR is a DS-7616NI-E2 / 8P

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a guide to updating firmware on the cameras? Or is it simply a matter of downloading the right file, then uploading it into the camera using the web interface for that specific cam...then praying. :)

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup ML = Multi Lanuage

I think that is the correct one.
Sorry, ML is the right one, or English? The NVR I AM concerned about bricking! :)

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm...my NVR has an "RR" in the serial number, implying the region is "Other/Unspecified". Think I should still go with the EN version or ML?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Perfect..everything went smoothly!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Think I should still go with the EN version or ML?
After the event, for future reference - the choice depends on whether you need only English menus, or another language that's only available in the ML Multi-Language firmware.

Recommendation on the newer NVR firmware:
Take a few minutes to create the Security Questions / Responses (and maybe also download the UUID file) that will give you the ability to self-service a forgotten NVR password that might be helpful in the future.
It's a good facility, well overdue.

Reactions: pbc

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank alastair...that's excellent advice, nice to see that they implemented it! Assume this is on the NVR itself and can't be done via web interface?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I recall it can be done either way.
In the web GUI, check the 'Security Question' tab under User Management.
And check out the 'Forgot Password' link on the login screen - but maybe not take that to the end point ...

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm...don't seem to have the option in User Management. Maybe I'll check the NVR itself later.