updating on Win 7 broke my system

Reaction score
Just installed BI about 3 weeks ago. All went smooth and everything working well when I Got the newest update pop up. I said update and it installed. After that the whole system stops responding. running on 64 bit windows 7 with 8gb memory and 500 ssd. I5 third gen dual core. Is there a problem with the latest update? So sad...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just installed BI about 3 weeks ago. All went smooth and everything working well when I Got the newest update pop up. I said update and it installed. After that the whole system stops responding. running on 64 bit windows 7 with 8gb memory and 500 ssd. I5 third gen dual core. Is there a problem with the latest update? So sad...
if you are referring to 4.7.8 then possibly...nvidia cuda decoding has been added and that might cause an issue as its so new. Revert back using an old update file.

Reaction score
I installed 4.7.7.0 and the update that broke the system was 4.7.7.3 update. I went and installed 4.7.8.0 but it also messed up. I think the 4.7.8.0 was poisoned by a bad backup of the system cause when I imported the bu it froze again. I had to redo each cam. What a pain. I am up and running with 4.7.7.0 again and will not update for a long while.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I installed 4.7.7.0 and the update that broke the system was 4.7.7.3 update. I went and installed 4.7.8.0 but it also messed up. I think the 4.7.8.0 was poisoned by a bad backup of the system cause when I imported the bu it froze again. I had to redo each cam. What a pain. I am up and running with 4.7.7.0 again and will not update for a long while.
you do know that you can backup all your setting in 5 seconds? and that you can revert to an earlier version any time...there was nothing wrong with 4.7.7.3.
updates should be done when there is a new feature you want....

Reaction score
Question fenderman. The auto back up will overwrite the previous one so when it was messed up I think it saved the corrupted version of itself. Am I wrong? I know now I can back up a good running version to another folder where it won't get overwritten. Last, reverting back requires removal of old and simply reinstalling an older version or is there an easier way?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question fenderman. The auto back up will overwrite the previous one so when it was messed up I think it saved the corrupted version of itself. Am I wrong? I know now I can back up a good running version to another folder where it won't get overwritten. Last, reverting back requires removal of old and simply reinstalling an older version or is there an easier way?
no it wont overwrite it because it saves the backup as backup, backup2 and backup3...as long as you name your backup something else it can be in the same folder.
to revert you simply need to run an older update file..you dont have to remove anything.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw this thread and just updated to 4.7.8.0. I have a machine with three CUDA cards in it, a 1060/3gb, a 970 and a 560Ti, all are EVGA. The update installed with no problems, Win7/64/Pro, and CPU utilization by BI has dropped from around 20% to under 5% with nine, 2mp, cameras recording continuously direct to disk. I'm so glad Ken finally got CUDA drivers going in BI. I bought a CUDA card, the 560Ti, years ago based on BI supporting CUDA.

Reaction score
I saw this thread and just updated to 4.7.8.0. I have a machine with three CUDA cards in it, a 1060/3gb, a 970 and a 560Ti, all are EVGA. The update installed with no problems, Win7/64/Pro, and CPU utilization by BI has dropped from around 20% to under 5% with nine, 2mp, cameras recording continuously direct to disk. I'm so glad Ken finally got CUDA drivers going in BI. I bought a CUDA card, the 560Ti, years ago based on BI supporting CUDA.
I wish I could upgrade my server but its an Intel NUC, very tiny and no expansion other than USB 3 slots. Oh, sigh.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine is a full tower, Corsair Obsidian with a 200cfm external fan, vented outside, for cooling. I know Fenderman is screaming right now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes no sense... better off removing the card and running at 20 percent...

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I run other things on the machine besides BI. I know that's not the optimum situation for BI but I am willing to compromise on that point for the WAF. Yes, I know it's a real energy hog and am willing to accept that. I have, shall we say, a vested interest in folding@home. I will say that the CUDA acceleration in BI has slowed my folding computations on the 1060 card by about 10% though. On the other hand it will allow me to add additional cameras without worrying about overloading the CPU.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sad that you cant get approval for a 100 dollar PC...while you are wasting more money running that crap as well as compromising your bi.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running all that hardware for folding, which, to me, is not crap. BI is more or less ancillary to the big picture for me but primary for my other half. It satisfies us both without having a second computer running 24/7. Sometimes the best compromise in one way isn't the best compromise in other ways. It works for me is all I'm saying. If I had my druthers, there would be a second, dedicated, BI machine and the price isn't an issue. Bi has run, happily, for years this way and I've had no problems with dropped video when it counts or crashes at all, yet, but that is always the case given Murphy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My point is running a second pc is more efficient... sure it's been running fine until Murphy bites you in the ass